Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hog Hunters in the Peral River area Help!!! >

Hog Hunters in the Peral River area Help!!!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Hunters in the Peral River area Help!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Spike

Default Hog Hunters in the Peral River area Help!!!

I have never hunted hogs in my life and just got my first compound bow... Can't wait for turkey season ans I'm wanting to get a hog or two with it. I have heard that Peral River wma would be my best bet since I am from Baton Rouge, La. I have found a map of the area But, have no clue where to go... Someone left an article saying to hunt the islands. I have looked on the map and can't see where islands would be. I have a 17 alum. boat with 15 hp. and 4- wheeler if needed. I would be exiting of of interstate 10.. Someone please help? And if you would know if the Pearl River wma allows baiting or not, that would be awsome... Thanks... Anyone interested in making a Marsh duck hunt in Cameron, La for a hog hunt, let me know...
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted Pearl River WMA fer deer & hogs. Take Hwy. I55 North to the Natchez Trace go east to Hwy 43 & go east to the Barnett resevoir. You take left go North to ck-in station sign-in. go back to the open water on east side of road. Put yer boat in go up river til you find the small Islands some maybe as much as 10 acres look fer cat-tails as they love to root them up Found all my hogs in that area & its so much easier with a boat than swimming or wading out to the hammocks/Islands. Best go couple days early scout fer signs. Lots of cottonmouths so you knowed about them stinkers!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by smokepolehall
I have hunted Pearl River WMA fer deer & hogs. Take Hwy. I55 North to the Natchez Trace go east to Hwy 43 & go east to the Barnett resevoir. You take left go North to ck-in station sign-in. go back to the open water on east side of road. Put yer boat in go up river til you find the small Islands some maybe as much as 10 acres look fer cat-tails as they love to root them up Found all my hogs in that area & its so much easier with a boat than swimming or wading out to the hammocks/Islands. Best go couple days early scout fer signs. Lots of cottonmouths so you knowed about them stinkers!
Thank you sooo much... and yes, the cotton mouths will sneak up on you in a heart beat. about how long of a boat ride you think it is? I can't wait to go now... Those pigs don't stand a chance now...LOl ... Do you know if they allow baiting? If so, what could I use? I guess I could run by Bass Pro Shop... But, you have any recommendations on bait?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Spike

I have a camp in Cameron, La... if you ever want to go on a weekend marsh duck hunt... I would be happy to take you and a guest... We hunt a 44 acre lake... Two blinds... 2010 hunt of course... If you are ever go hog hunting or any kind of hunt, I'll swap hunts with ya... I have a fishing camp in Fouche, La. also if you are interested in fishing the marsh or bays... Specks will be running soon...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Morning to you, with 15HP i think you had once you get to river channel its not a very wide river 15 20 min & you be in the area. A topo map will give you lots of detailed info. Is yer boat alum shallow draft its better than heavy fiberglas to get up in there. Chest waders if you have heavy boat. Always keep the wind in yer face or crosswind. If they ever smell you they haul rump off the Island/hammocks up into the thick cattails. Then its real tuff to get a shot. A lite climber would be good also as there are some trees big enuff. If i ever get down there i may go fish with you.= fer some specks, Thx
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If yer coming up I55 when you get to Jackson it ties into I20 east fer about a mile then splits north again. As you leave Jackson keep an eye out fer the Natchez Trace sign it will come up quickly take the right & follow the other directions. You may can get a map of WMA & talk to a Warden or Biologist up there.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your from Baton Rouge you should check out the Honey Island Swamp areas.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Spike

If yer coming up I55 when you get to Jackson it ties into I20 east fer about a mile then splits north again. As you leave Jackson keep an eye out fer the Natchez Trace sign it will come up quickly take the right & follow the other directions. You may can get a map of WMA & talk to a Warden or Biologist up there.
Thanks for the info... Ya, the specks will be running in a bit...