Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

When to hunt Texas hogs?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default When to hunt Texas hogs?

I went on my first and only Texas hog hunt the first week of June back in 2008. It was HOT HOT HOT....but we had a blast. The wheat was up and we did a lot of spot n stalk in those fields....along with some hunting with dogs.

We wish to return this year but would go when it is a bit cooler...say early April. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good time? I'm assuming the wheat fields won't be up yet so will this require a change in our tactics much?

Bad knees, etc are gonna' keep some of us from chasin' with dogs so we thought we would try to do more hunting from a blind or stand...and maybe some slow spot n stalk.

Early April seem like a good time for these tactics or should we wait? FYI....we will be hunting near Abilene.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

May already be pretty hot in TX in April. Also if your outfitter does Turkey hunts they will not want hog hunters running around interfering with their turkey hunters. Jan-Mar is prime hog hunting months with Jan and Feb being better. The cooler the better for hog movement.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The HRW wheat is actually planted ideally in September or October, and it is much better hunting before it matures in April and May. By June, much of the wheat is already being harvested.

April won't be as hot, but......biting insects are often at their worst here in April and May. April and May are some of our wetter months (coincidentally, also peak tornado season). And with the rain comes the mosquitos, ticks, fire ants, and chiggers. Snakes are also usually pretty active (problematic for me because I hunt at night).

February would be my pick. The wheat is in and up, and since the native plants are mostly dormant, the hogs and other wildlife will be utilizing it. Deer season will have been over for a while, so things will not be as nocturnal. Cold weather also helps push them out foraging a little earlier.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by North Texan
The HRW wheat is actually planted ideally in September or October, and it is much better hunting before it matures in April and May. By June, much of the wheat is already being harvested.

April won't be as hot, but......biting insects are often at their worst here in April and May. April and May are some of our wetter months (coincidentally, also peak tornado season). And with the rain comes the mosquitos, ticks, fire ants, and chiggers. Snakes are also usually pretty active (problematic for me because I hunt at night).

February would be my pick. The wheat is in and up, and since the native plants are mostly dormant, the hogs and other wildlife will be utilizing it. Deer season will have been over for a while, so things will not be as nocturnal. Cold weather also helps push them out foraging a little earlier.
Well Said!