Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hog hunting - Free range vs fenced >

Hog hunting - Free range vs fenced

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting - Free range vs fenced

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Spike

get off this guys back he's just trying to make some extra cash
Old 01-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have Bowhunted free range & High fence. Both several times.
I have had my best success with free range beleive it or not. High Fence i've been to (1000 to 4000 acres) you never saw a hog until dark. 7 trips High fence & I killed 1 hog just as it was turning daylight. Driving into camp at night you would see them running everywhere. I've killed 16 hogs total on other places & 1 with Hounds.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

My first time I hunted (or should i say shot) them in a 50 acre pen. They had issues with them getting out on occasion sometimes they didn't even live long enough though. When i asked the guy what kind do they have ie: Spanish, Russian, razorbacks or just plain old ferrel spotted he told me they are of the Rocky mountain strain. LOL I almost pissed my pants laughing! The I shot the first thing I saw which was running behind and elk that was behind a sika which was behind a Hawaiian goat which was behind a Texas dall (you get the picture) I thought I was in THE NOT SO WILD AFRICA movie or something.

Then...... I hunted a 5k acre unfenced plantation in S. Carolina and you could not even compare the two. The guide does not hunt with dogs switches stands everyday, baits corn all year round, does not allow stalking them and hunts only in the winter months to avoid nocturnal in the heat. He has very consistent kill rates. The guy does deer hunts too and goes into detail about the property, the stands and his strategy.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have never hunted a fenced in place. There are lots of free ranging hogs here. i'm
blessed by being able to hunt hogs on a huge government property, several pieces of private property and one of our places as well.

If things were different an i did not have a place to hunt i would hunt a fenced in ranch in a heartbeat.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Spike

Default Fencing?

I have hunted free range hogs in S.C. and N.C. and on both occasions spent two days in a stand and never saw a hog. I hunted Caryona Lodge in Tenn. which is fenced in large plots and stocked with feral hogs which are trapped in the wild. It was an exciting hunt with dogs and I would recommend it to anyone. The ethics of fencing should be left to each hunter to decide for themselves. If it is legal in your state then no one should criticize you. It is like debating dog hunting for deer in the South or baiting bear. Let's unite to fight the anti-hunters not divide ourselves into competing groups.