Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
new to trapping hogs...help! >

new to trapping hogs...help!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

new to trapping hogs...help!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default new to trapping hogs...help!

Can anyone give any pointers / tips as to what I can do to increase my chances on catching hogs in my trap? We have been getting several pictures of hogs on my trail camera and went a bought a hog trap to try and catch some of them. Being new to trapping...where should I place the trap? Is there a better spot to place it than another? Put it up against brush or just kinda out in the open? What should I bait the trap with? I know corn and pig-out would probably work good...but is there something else that can be used to get them in? I briefly read where you shouldn't shoot the hog inside the trap...any inputs on this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Spike

bait near a wallow when it's hot, make sure their still in the area. don't shoot them in the trap move them before you have to do that, don't place any cams around trap, will only run them off.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Place your trap in an area where there's consistent pig activity in an area where you can stake it securely down. Leave your trap open (unset) for a week or 10 days while scattering bait around the area of, and in, the trap. If you're getting action, after a couple of days re bait and set the trap. For some reason pigs don't care about the blood in the trap and I've killed a ton of them inside the trap and drug them to the truck after they were dead.

For bait try feed corn in a plastic barrel covered in water. Add a few gallons of out of date whole milk and some yeast and let it stand in the sun for awhile (make sure you know what's down wind). An open panel in the top of your trap is a good idea because deer and turkey will often eat your bait too and if they trip the door they need a way to escape.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i kill 200 pigs a year in the trap, they will fill up again the same day.

we have trapping sequences on the trail cam...they just keep goin in even though one of the cams is a flash cam.

if you are not gonna kill the in the trap, i'd like to see the video of yall gettin the pigs outta the trap alive. usually the 200 lb hogs and up are usually like pissed off steroid-ed out rottweilers and can jump about 3-4 feet high in the air at 20 mph or more.

i know some folks that shot their buddy!!! shootin hogs in a trap, the bullet did a complete 180 off the cage and hit the 3rd guy behind the shooter.(just a 1 inch gape in his hand..he lived)

for bait..think catfish..the smellyier the better...5 gallon bucket of corn..4 packs berry kool aid...2 forty oz malt liquer , put the lid on..when ya open it and start gaggin its ready..stirr once a week or so til ready.

just dump a 55 gallon barrel of corn on the ground..they will show up one day and not leave til its gone(experience)...then befor its gone go sneak your trap in..

i am weary of the traps havin hog panel bottoms...in east texas they just wont go in em.trap shy?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone..thanks a lot for the information...I greatly appreciate it. Please, if there are any others, I would love to hear what has worked for you in the past!

Halfbaked, we are in Texas as well (Taylor County which is the Abilene area).
Old 01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by r33h
Can anyone give any pointers / tips as to what I can do to increase my chances on catching hogs in my trap? We have been getting several pictures of hogs on my trail camera and went a bought a hog trap to try and catch some of them. Being new to trapping...where should I place the trap? Is there a better spot to place it than another? Put it up against brush or just kinda out in the open? What should I bait the trap with? I know corn and pig-out would probably work good...but is there something else that can be used to get them in? I briefly read where you shouldn't shoot the hog inside the trap...any inputs on this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Send RLoving1 a PM, he will advise you right ....

BTW, my nephew has a lease in Abilene and whe he sends me the pictures of the deer and hogs they taken I will post them.....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel Hog...thanks for the contact. I private messaged RLoving1...so hopefully he will respond
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

A small pen built with a trap door works 10 times better than a hog trap.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep best I could tell him was take some of what the rest of you have suggested and learn to be flexible since hogs do wise up.I also offered my services with gun/bow if he needs help in that way! Us Texas boys always watch out fer one another!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use..

a trap door as 1 side

3 sides of hog panel..and 4 inch horse panel will work as well

at least 13 tee post..i prolly have that many or more...not the cheep ones fro home depot..the expensive ones from home depot or where ever.

i use hose clamps..but know guys who use zip ties and nothin got out yet. and tie wire is good

tee post hammer, or kill yourself with a sledge.

.should hammer tee post all the way down to 3 inches under hog panel height.
2 tee post fer the door..
at least 2 in every corner.
prolly every 3-4 feet along the long sides..do them next to a verticle runner in the hog panelin'
the t-post should be on thee outside of the trap.

how dos ur trap spring?