Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog heads

Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default Hog heads

I have two hog heads I want to skull mount. Will boiling the heads mess the skull and teeth up?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It shouldn't. That's how most taxidermists do skull mounts.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Spike

might make them fall out so be easy with it not to loose them when you do, just glue them back in if they do

get off the large chunks as much as you can first
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

Ok I think im going to try it here in a little bit. Hunting hogs with a knife was pretty fun. Does anyone know of anybody who sells hog dogs in Missouri.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure you cape the heads first and, as said in a prior post, don't over boil them...... or if you can get meat beetles put them in a barrel and wait (Cabelas used to sell them...the beetles).
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Go to the Taxidermy section and ask what the powder is (it's escaping my mind right now), but if you boil it you can add this powder to it and it will help the process along and help keep you from over boiling it.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want to remove all large chunks of meat, then set your galvanized bucket to boil, when the water is boiling add about 5 ounces of soda ash and then place the head inside the already boiling water, remove after 15-20 minutes, then dump the water in through an old window screen to sift any small teeth that may fall out.

Take 8 ounces of clorox and add to 5 gallons of water submerge the head for an hour, if you still have oil and grease then you want to use a degreaser to remove it , also take a large flat screw driver and remove the brain through the spinal cord hole,
After you degrease it , then you take hydrogen peroxide at 40% you probably need 5 gallons of it to submerge the whole skull for several hours then rinse and hang in the sun to bleach.
Total cost of chemicals will be in the $50 range, check with a taxidermist in your area and see what the cost would be.