Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Fastest way to attract hogs on public land >

Fastest way to attract hogs on public land

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Fastest way to attract hogs on public land

Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default Fastest way to attract hogs on public land

I see a lot of hogs in the National Forest where I hunt and I know there are a lot of methods used to attract them. My problem is that I can only go up for about 3 days. What is the best bait to use for the quickest possible result. It is a huge piece of land so I know I will have to be an the approximate area to start.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Greg
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check to see if bait is legal first where you are hunting.
soured corn is best, I've used hog wild before, but not too much success with it.

Hunting is best to investigate, most animals are a creature of habit, as far as feeding and watering patterns. Hogs however are nomadic and roam a lot. I'd find a good place to set up by water, or a place with a lot of root marks if you can. Check out trails and check to see if they are fresh by the scant. (droppings)
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fastest way I've found to attract any game animal (especially turkeys in the fall) is to not have my bow or a tag.

Seriously, I would try to spot and stalk if I had an idea where to start looking for them.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also say soured corn. But make sure you're actually allowed to bait first.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

If you are indeed allowed to bait, here is what you do. Get you a rubbermaid container with a lid that will fit in your fridge. Now, every time you eat, put the food scraps in there. When it is time to go hunting, bring it with you and dump it on the ground.

I have gained this knowledge over the past couple of years from my father raising pigs on a buddies land. They like corn with developer in it but will run you over for a 5 gallon bucket filled with scraps.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Spike

Default Hello from Knoxville

Hi! My name is Barclay. I'm reading www.huntingnet.com forum for a long time, but I finally registered. So it's time to introduce myself. I live in USA and I'm interested in this forum theme (in addition to many other). I hope that my knowlage will by usefull for you.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

corn or grain soaked in water for a month works good as pigs love the smelly stuff
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Spike

I hunt in Texas each year on a friends ranch, and what they do to bait hogs is they put corn in an airtight container,,then get a bottle of wine and pour it in, let it set for a few days,,and whew,,they like a dark wine,,just make sure baiting is permitted, I've seen as many at 40 pigs come into their baits. Good luck hunting this year.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Spike

People can say corn or whatever, but I have found that if you dig a 6 inch hole, spread the freash dirt out a tad, you will pull in the hogs. Fresh dirt is dinner on the table to them. It tells them something has been digging up dinner here recently.

More more attracting power, mix corn with fruit (strawberry) jello mix and put it into the fresh dirt.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Spike

Here are a couple more unique methods of baiting hogs. One of them is with Peanut Butter. I have never tried it, but a friend does it every year in Georgia. He uses 5 gallons at a time and says it works. Smear it on the tree trunks, etc.

The other method, and it will sound strange, but it does work... dig a hole 2-3 feet deep. Pour a bag of corn into the hole. Dump a couple gallons of buttermilk on top and cover it up. The hogs will come, and the bait will last a couple of days as they try to get it all dug up. No claims to it being the fastest though! Good luck