Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Wild hogs...anybody seeing many????? >

Wild hogs...anybody seeing many?????

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wild hogs...anybody seeing many?????

Old 08-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Texas there are two kind of lands.. Those with hogs, and those that are about to have hogs. They are populating faster than we can kill them.
One of the problems we have in Texas is that ranchers with hogs want to jump on the charge to hunt band wagon. Being greedy will come back and bite them in the butt.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The DNR should pay us to kill them. That would get people out there hunting them that normally aren't. In the long run, the amount of money they pay out for hogs wouldn't even come close to the amount of money farmers lose every year in crop loss.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Spike

same thing here in arkansas

never had them before in one of my deer leases, all pine thickets and last year about 40 were seen, first time ever there. but see lots of the in the bottomlands.

but, i am doing my part in thinning the population.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

i live in tampa so if anyone needs help with controlling their hog population i would be more than happy to help out,
LOL!!!

a friend's parents own some property in central Geoargia and i've been deer hunting up there for 7 years and i haven't seen any hogs on their property. but, a couple years before i started going up there they had a problem with hogs so his dad built a hog trap. it's basically a 10'X10' pen with a guillotine type door that was attached to a stick via a rope that was wedged in the ground on the opposite side of the cage, that was surrounded by bait. when several hogs got in the pen and started to feed on the bait they would eventually knock the stick loose and the door would fall and trap the hogs in the pen. it seemed to be effective because like i said earlier there hasn't been any hog sightings on his property in years.

Last edited by CAM2; 08-18-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CAM2
i live in tampa so if anyone needs help with controlling their hog population i would be more than happy to help out,
LOL!!!

a friend's parents own some property in central Geoargia and i've been deer hunting up there for 7 years and i haven't seen any hogs on their property. but, a couple years before i started going up there they had a problem with hogs so his dad built a hog trap. it's basically a 10'X10' pen with a guillotine type door that was attached to a stick via a rope that was wedged in the ground on the opposite side of the cage, that was surrounded by bait. when several hogs got in the pen and started to feed on the bait they would eventually knock the stick loose and the door would fall and trap the hogs in the pen. it seemed to be effective because like i said earlier there hasn't been any hog sightings on his property in years.
That is very effective.... but I guarantee you there are still hogs roaming around. There's no way he's going to trap them all.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SWThomas
That is very effective.... but I guarantee you there are still hogs roaming around. There's no way he's going to trap them all.
we scout the mass majority of the property each year as we do stand maintenace and we haven't seen any hogs or sign of hogs, and his dad says he hasn't seen any either. but, that doesn't mean that the neighboring properties don't have any hogs. we'll be up there next weekend and if i see any sign of hogs i'll certainly be looking for them during the gun season. the property isn't what most people would consider prime hog habitat, although there were hogs there at one time but not lately.

EDIT:
SWThomas, i didn't mean that the trap would eliminate all the hogs in every scenario. it could help in some situations though. the situation that i'm talking about wasn't no where near as bad as some people here have described. my friends dad eliminated the problem as soon as he could because he didn't want the hogs on his property. his property is made up of pastures, planted pines and hardwoods. the creeks and ponds on the property have been pretty much dried up for a while. there are no major food sources for them to over take, and there are no swamps around. so, these may be some of the factors as to why we haven't seen any hogs or sign.

it certainly sounds like others have major problems that i could help with.

Last edited by CAM2; 08-18-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
In Texas there are two kind of lands.. Those with hogs, and those that are about to have hogs. They are populating faster than we can kill them.
One of the problems we have in Texas is that ranchers with hogs want to jump on the charge to hunt band wagon. Being greedy will come back and bite them in the butt.

My nephew has a helicopter service and hog erradication is one of the things he does with them. He kills them by the thousands.

I talked with him a couple of days ago and said he took out 2900 in 4 weeks working around the rice fields in the Texas coastal bend area. His personal best was 224 pigs in about 4 hrs of flying and that was only about 15 miles from my place.

Yeah, feral pigs are a big problem in Texas funny thing is people are will to pay to hunt them and then serious farmers and ranchers are willing to pay good money to help rid their property of them.
The places that charge to hunt them will never ever keep them in check and are out to make a dollar, a very effective way to help control hogs is through superior firepower through the air.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

i live close to Meridian, MS I've been seeing a a couple hogs here and there. It doesn't seem to anywhere near the deer population in my area. You can find some pig tracks along creek beds mixed in with natural wildlife. but I fear populations are about to get worse. I have spotted twice what looks like a domestic hog that has escaped. It's large, has short hair, and no tusks.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doubleA
My nephew has a helicopter service and hog erradication is one of the things he does with them. He kills them by the thousands.

I talked with him a couple of days ago and said he took out 2900 in 4 weeks working around the rice fields in the Texas coastal bend area. His personal best was 224 pigs in about 4 hrs of flying and that was only about 15 miles from my place.

Yeah, feral pigs are a big problem in Texas funny thing is people are will to pay to hunt them and then serious farmers and ranchers are willing to pay good money to help rid their property of them.
The places that charge to hunt them will never ever keep them in check and are out to make a dollar, a very effective way to help control hogs is through superior firepower through the air.
I've always wondered how people can even hit what they're aiming at from a helicopter... Are they using shotguns with buckshot?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

I never had a problem hitting anything out of a helicopter with a M60 7.62

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.