Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story** >

Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

So I decided to go after an "eater" hog this morning. I've got numerous trail cam pictures of this one particular sow and she looked good for the taking. I showed up this morning at about 0600 and settled into my blind. I turned on the Therma-Cell, set-up my shooting sticks, and waited. The feeder went off at 0618. Right around 0700 I saw a brown boar come walking out from the left. Shortly after he showed himself I saw that the sow I was after was right behind him. I gave them a few minutes to get comfortable and to let my heart rate settle down and then I put my Endeavor on the shooting sticks and cocked the hammer. I waited until the sow was broadside and the boar was clear, lined up on her left shoulder, and squeezed. BANG! I dropped her right in her tracks and the boar stood there for a few seconds checking her out as she did the funky chicken. He took off and while I was reloading, he came back for another look. But he took off again.

I estimate the sow at about 80 pounds. Here's the first pic my trail cam took this morning...

And here's the second pic it took. Notice the dead hog. I guess her squirming caused it to take another pic...

And here's what she looked like up close...

Now here's the double part I was referring to in the title. I KILLED MY FEEDER! After I loaded the hog up I went back and checked out the crime scene. I noticed I had punched a hole in one of the legs on my feeder when I shot the hog... So my bullet went through the feeder leg and didn't deflect on it's way through the hog. I almost didn't notice it because I hit the sow pretty much where I was aiming. I guess it may have deflected a little being that the entry wound was a little forward and up. Being that I was so focused on the sow, I didn't even notice the feeder leg was in my line of sight...

Notice the blood in the background...

I couldn't believe it! How often does something like that happen?!?!

Here's some pics of the damage done to the hog. This is the entry wound...

This is the exit wound...

And here's an inside shot...

She's definitely a good eater. I fried up a small piece of backstrap when I got home and it was nice and tender.

I was hunting from my ground blind at 53 yards from the feeder. I was using my TC Encore Endeavor loaded with 120g Blackhorn 209, a 250g Barnes T-EZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot, and a CCI 209M primer.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Nicejob Spencer, glad that bullet didn't deflect and just wound her.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for a good tale with interesting photos. A picture sometimes really is worth 1,000 words.

Congratulatons on the hog !!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Spike

Done the same thing during deer season three years ago. Feeder wounded , buck DRT. Great pics. Keep them coming. If I can figure out how to post pics I'll post some of deer in the garden.