Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 New scope, same 'ol Hornet, big hog= DRT >

New scope, same 'ol Hornet, big hog= DRT

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

New scope, same 'ol Hornet, big hog= DRT

Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the porker, he's a dandy/
Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike

Nice Hogs, and with a Hornet, even better

Would you be able to anchor them with a shot behind the ear with the Hornet also? I am thinking of getting a Hornet, and would love to try it on a hog.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mueller makes an awesome scope, I'm really suprised that more people aren't using them. Congrats on a great kill!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by killswitch
Nice Hogs, and with a Hornet, even better

Would you be able to anchor them with a shot behind the ear with the Hornet also? I am thinking of getting a Hornet, and would love to try it on a hog.

The hornet anywhere within 3 inches of the ear will absolutley drop them on the spot.
I have killed 23 deer and hogs in the past 4 years with the hornet all have been neck and head shots and not one has taken a step and I havent wounded one. One thing I notice the hornet does is it leaves a huge swelling in the area of shot. The neck swells up into a huge ball, pretty wierd, I just say that what happens when your stung by a hornet.
I killed one small hog with with a behind the shoulder shot and he even dropped. My son made a semi bad shot on an 80lb hog, he hit the neck but not the spine, he hit low through the juggler and he even dropped and bled out fast. You can see the swelling I am talking about.
Heres that pic. This was before my mueller.

centaur, I agree on the mueller. I own two and will be getting a third. My friends are also getting one or two after seeing and using mine.

Last edited by zrexpilot; 08-20-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Spike

HHmmm.I have seen that picture b4..think it might of been one of them Texas hog hunting forums..Love that picture-kids are our future.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Spike

I like the custom job on the rifle.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Spike

ZRex,

Thanks for the info on the Hornet for the hogs, I do believe that people sometimes underestimate that little .22!!

By the way, good stories, and great pics too!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to you and your son on the hogs. The Hornet does a good job. i shoot several hogs every year on a huge place where we are restricted to the use of rimfire rifles. There the .22 magnum does it for me, at much shorter ranges than the Hornet, of course. We sometimes hunt hogs from a high stand at a water hole. If the hog is facing me i may shoot it at the base of the skull. They just flop over dead when hit there.

Last edited by falcon; 08-21-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice hog. Is that South of San Antone? I miss living there for that reason and the barbacoba, don't miss the freaking heat in the summer..

I'm sure the word will spread among the hog population, I expect they will soon be wearing flack jackets and little helmets.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No my friend lost the place south of san antonio.
I am hunting a new spot, got lucky and became friends with an older gent who was a customer of mine, he has a place near kennedy Tx. 160 acres. I help him at the ranch and I get to hunt.
Just so no ones confused my sons pic is of a hog he shot last year, I was just showing the ball of swelling on the neck.
Its gotten to easy with the Hornet, time to break out my bow.

Originally Posted by falcon
Congrats to you and your son on the hogs. The Hornet does a good job. i shoot several hogs every year on a huge place where we are restricted to the use of rimfire rifles. There the .22 magnum does it for me, at much shorter ranges than the Hornet, of course. We sometimes hunt hogs from a high stand at a water hole. If the hog is facing me i may shoot it at the base of the skull. They just flop over dead when hit there.
Its rediculous the size caliber most people think is neccessary to kill deer and hogs. I ve killed a few things myself with a .22 mag. I was actually going to buy a .22 mag but went with the Hornet becasue it legal to deer hunt with here in Texas .
I saw my friend make a bad shot on a 200lb hog with a .22mag, he hit it way far back and it dropped him where he stood. Found out when we cleaned him that he liver shot it.

Last edited by zrexpilot; 08-21-2009 at 05:24 AM.