Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Took a Ram At Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Tx >

Took a Ram At Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Tx

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Took a Ram At Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Tx

Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Took a Ram At Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Tx

Well, here is the story. This is a Ladies Ram hunt with www.MyArcheryHunt.com
We got to Coyote Creek ranch after picking up the 2 other ladies , Cheri (from Colorado and Ann from Montana) at DFW. We arrive about 5pm. Terry and Dawn get there about 40 min later (from Ill. and stuck in Little Rock for a bit changing an alternator).
We split up into pairs, Randy filming Ann. Terry filming Dawn and I filming Cheri.
Cheri and I get to a stand and get set up, camera ready, bow ready and wait. 20 minutes later hogs come in. Now it's a matter of which one she wants to shoot. Cheri warns me she does not mess around, when she picks one out, be ready as she does not *****foot around about shooting ( unlike me, who can change her mind in a heart beat which one I want!!!).
She picks her hog, I'm zoomed enough and far enough to capture the arrow in flight and on impact!!!! Cool!!! with in less than 5 minutes we have a shot and a hog down. I lean over the stand to get a good capture of Cheri's post shot and we hear the death moan. Not 15 yards away!!!! HOG DOWN!!!! We call/text Randy and he let's Donnie (the owner) know. We get down, find the arrow, which is not hard to do, and shooting FOB's we find the impact site as well very easily. We find good blood and wait for Donnie to come. It had rained so much that the seat was soaked and so was our butts. I was so excited for her, I swear I peed my pants for her and she claims I probably did as she felt a little lighter in the bladder area!!!!!!
Cheri got the only animal taken that night. Randy and Ann watched the rams for some time. Terry and Dawn saw hogs, but, not what she wanted.
End of 1st hunt.
The next am, Cheri and I go to the same stand hoping the Rams would come in. I again am filming. We get out and set up and wait. I lonesome little hog comes in. Cheri already has her hog and it's not what I want to take (I had my bow with me, in case).
Then some African goats come in and we decide we want a Ram not a goat. They proceed to hang around and even bed down. It's going on 9am and we get a bit goofy watching these goats. I contemplate giving the camera to Cheri with the thought of roping one, but, decide I :1) do not want to be drug face first thru the mud and 2) I want a Ram. So we call it a morning. In the meantime, Dawn takes a 4 horned black Ram--1st ram down. And Ann shoots a hog and as they are tracking the hog, the Rams show up and she takes a nice Ram. (Ann prefers spot and stalk as that is what she does in Montana and she did the same with the hog)
We then get the animals back to camp, photos, interviews and caping/quartering done. Dawn's is gonna be a European mount so skinning out will be done later. Ann's is caped out and in the fridge with them both.
We eat a bit and Terry takes Cheri out for a spot and stalk on the Rams. No Ram gotten, but, they literally had hogs running between their legs. They come in and we all have lunch. It is now about 1pm. Sun high and bright. 80 something.
We then all decide to spot and stalk the Rams with the focus on me first as I have not hunted yet, and then on Cheri for a Ram.
We break up in pairs with Terry and camera with me, Dawn and Randy and cameras, and Ann and Cheri and camera.
We find the Rams, they are grzing and some bedded. Terry and I get on our hands and knees and crawl up within 50 yards of them. The others (people) see where we are and they form a circle with us and a fence (low) to the back side of the Rams. We all start closing in on them. Terry and I the only ones on our knees as we want to Rams to see the others.
I get to 20 yards from the fenceline with the Rams about 40 yards to my right and moving towards me. Camera is set up and Terry is on them and I am in front a bit and we're both ready to go. The Rams slowly work they way to me from my right to left. I pick a different Ram each time one moves out in front. The intent is to have them directly in front of me and they are doing what I want. Then a ram takes a bit of a lead, 15 yards from me, I get the word from Terry to shot anytime I want and with that I let one fly. 15 yard and a pass thru. Off the herd goes with mine at the caboose and moving slower and heading away from the herd (which they will do as the others will attack and kill it if not already dead). Down he goes. I am up on my feet jumping up and down shaking my bow and right fist like a school girl, "I got a Ram, I got a Ram", completely forgetting my knee does not like that or crawling for that matter!!!! It handled it well, tho, and I was impressed.
then, my ram gets up and starts towards the herd but laging away from them. My heart sunk. I thought he was dead. In the meantime the herd is moving towards Cheri and she is ready to shoot if the opportunity presents itself. Then the herd turns on a dime and hauls butt in the opposite direction and betwqeen me/Terry and Ann and Dawn and off they go. My ram is at the back of the pack, but, keeping up. They all go to another field.
We move arpound to the far edge and skirt around a tree lined seasonal creek with some water in it.
As we come around trying to sneak up (Terry/camera, me and Cheri) on them, I see my Ram just inside the woods, hurting/bleeding and 15 yards away and completely oblivious to me being there. Arrow already nocked. Terry setting up and I'm awaiting his cue. I get it and now just wait a minute for the Ram to take a step forward to clear the branches and let another arrow fly that double lungs and cuts the aorta. Blood squirting from the entrance with each heartbeat for about 5, then down and not getting up!!!!!!!! We the run to get on the herd again to let Cheri get on them. Which did not happen. We did get on one that was injured from Ann's arrow passing thru and hitting another (Initially we thought it was my 1st arrow, but the footage shows it was Ann's). Cheri decides she does not want that one so, Randy, who had his bow too (Terry did not, neither did Ann or Dawn) stalked up on him and put him down for good.
All this transpires over 3-4 hours. We then gather p our animals and go in for some much, much needed water. It is 5pm.
We then snack, and it's time to put some clean clothes on and go out again. The crawling and stalking on hands and knees was in wet, ground and some standing water in the field, so we were a mess.
Cheri, Randy and I load up with the intent that Cheri would film me take a hog. Randy was along for the ride with his camera just in case we saw the Rams and Cheri wanted to try. She swore by now she would/could not stalk any more and would take a goat if it came in again.
Lo and behold, 100 yards down the road, there were the Rams looking as tired and as beat as we were, but grazing.
"Cheri, you want your Ram?" her response wa , she did not want to mess up my hog hunt and getting to the site in time. I told her to go for it, her best chance was now as they probably wouldn't move any faster than we could now. So she and Randy got off the buggy and began thier stalk. Got into the cover of some trees. Randy gets the camera ready, Cheri in front, he gives her the go ahead, she draws, moves up another 10 yards and takes a 35 yard double lung shot that brings him to the ground in 30 yards!!!!!
WoooHoooo!!!!!! All the ladies now have their Rams!!!!!!!! A few pics and then cheri and I are taken to our site to see if I can get a hog with Cheri filming.
I did get a good shot on a big hog 125-150lbs, but, after tracking for quite some time--hours, Donnie said that's it, he needs to go home and eat. So that ends the eve.
In the AM Dawn, Randy and Terry are the only ones going out as the rest of us are done and sleeping in a bit. Terry takes a nice Ram and Dawn gets a huge hog that turns out to have been previously injured and the meat was no good.
Randy and Terry were asked to refrain from taking any hogs as that was the deal with Donnie and the very discounted price we recieved for the Ladies Ram Hunt and all the filming.

I will post a link when the video is avail to be seen.
I'm loving being back in Texas!!!!!! Many thanks to Donnie at Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Texas. Many, Many thanks to Randy and Terry for arranging this. Many thanks to Dawn for coming with her husband, Terry, and for Cheri and Ann for coming from their home states for all of us Women's Team Prostaffers of MyArcheryHunt.com to make this an absolute blast of a hunt!!!!! MAny more thanks to Randy for his tracking (he is the best tracker I've seen not wearing a collar!!!) and doing all the caping and quartering. Job well done!!!!!

" />
Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Took a Ram At Coyote Creek Ranch in Detroit, Tx

Looks like you had a great hunt congrats. What type of vanes are on your arrows in the pic.?
Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice hunt...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice write up. Congrats on the nice ram.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 AM

They are FOB's by www.StarrFlight.com
They fly as good or better than field points, come in a variety of colors and pop off at impact with pass thrus and mark the spot. Clan your arrow and pop it back on and oyur good to go!!!!
I am really liking them. With slight modifications toa lighted nock, they work beautifully.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Spike

Great story, congrats !
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool! Great story and nice ram! Congrats!!!