HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Best State to Hog Hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/294500-best-state-hog-hunt.html)

tazed2 05-21-2009 05:56 AM

Best State to Hog Hunt?

My husband and I are looking into going to do a hog hunt next year and we were wondering what state would be the best to look into.

SWThomas 05-21-2009 06:41 AM

RE: Best State to Hog Hunt?

In my opinion Florida is by far the front runner for wild hog.

Snook384 05-21-2009 08:17 AM

For just plain productivity I would go for Texas, but I live in Florida and shot over 70+ hogs last year. Just about any southern state will get the job done for you. Look into public land or in off season private land and that can help determine which state you want to go to.

907Alaska 05-21-2009 07:01 PM

California is not real bad (Mariposa County)...but for some real hog hunting myself I would go to Texas...JMO

bowerman61028 05-22-2009 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: 909bowsniper

California is not real bad (Mariposa County)...but for some real hog hunting myself I would go to Texas...JMO
I have be told that Central California is good hog hunting but do you know of anything further North? I have been hearing about hogs closer to the Oregon border but have not talked with anyone who has hunted them that far up. Also, what is the land mix in Mariposa County (public/private)?

907Alaska 05-22-2009 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: bowerman61028

ORIGINAL: 909bowsniper

I have be told that Central California is good hog hunting but do you know of anything further North? I have been hearing about hogs closer to the Oregon border but have not talked with anyone who has hunted them that far up. Also, what is the land mix in Mariposa County (public/private)?
The north end of the county is encompassed by Yosemite NP = No Hunting...the rest of the county down south is probably about a 60/40split 60 public 40 private, I could be a little off there...I have never ventured any further north than that for hogs, I always go a little further east towards the coast, and then down into the Los Padres NF...people will tell you that is it almost impossible to get them on the Los Padres...but we always get a couple everytime we go...I have heard stories about hogs in Southern Oregon / Northern Cal...never experienced it for myself...

mcraddock 05-23-2009 07:07 AM

I have to agree that just about any southern state has ample hog populations and hunter/kill success ratios. Look at the lowcountry of my home state South Carolina. Plenty of reputable guides and public land opportunities. I routinely take 200 lb + hogs just about anywhere on the Savannah River corridor. If you want some hints on where to start, shoot me a PM or just ask here.

ladybowhntr 05-24-2009 03:49 PM

Texas for sure!!!!!! Some great ranches there!!!!!
Look into Cedar Springs in Alto, Tx--an absolute great place to hunt hogs. Mike is great. Camp is clean and everything you need is there!!!!Great for a whole family.
Coyote Creek in Detroit, Tx is a great place to hunt as well. More rustic but you will be onto hogs, goats and rams. Donnie wil do whatever it takes to get you on the animals.
There are many more also, but these I have 1st hand knowledge of and have been to both recently.

357hunter 05-26-2009 06:51 PM

Oklahoma, Check out www.huntrockytop.com for a great hog hunt.