HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hogs Knocking over and Uprooting Feeder = Big Problem (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/294385-hogs-knocking-over-uprooting-feeder-big-problem.html)

atx 05-19-2009 09:39 AM

Hogs Knocking over and Uprooting Feeder = Big Problem

So i have a very large A-Frame that I hang a Feeder from. The hogs are rooting around and eventually knocking the whole thing over. I've recently driven 4 T-Posts into the ground and secured the legs of the A-Frame to the T-Posts. 2 days later and the hogs have uprooted the posts and tipped the whole thing over. A few of these guys are 300+ lbs. All nocturnal. I never see them during the day. Trail camera's showing them at nite only. Trapping them is not working out because they're too smart. I need some advice as to the feeder problem. What suggestions do ya'll have to keep my feeder up for hog hunting?

der Teufel 05-19-2009 11:26 AM

RE: Hogs Knocking over and Uprooting Feeder = Big Problem

Here's how we solved that problem.

Ignore the guy in the background . . .

907Alaska 05-19-2009 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: der Teufel

Here's how we solved that problem.

Ignore the guy in the background . . .

Very nice:)

Kanga 05-19-2009 05:06 PM

I had the same problem, I just drove 7' T posts into the ground 4' and used barbedwire to secure the legs to the T posts.

It does take some driving to get them into the ground 4 ft but well worth the effort.

Oh drive the posts in at an angle opposite your leg so they for an X then wire together.

Like this.

Snook384 05-21-2009 05:51 AM

or if you do not have any trees.

SWThomas 05-21-2009 06:40 AM

You could try some rope and stakes driven deep into the ground.

atx 05-21-2009 07:01 AM

thanks for all the suggestions. i have an idea now of what to do. thanks

der Teufel 05-21-2009 07:36 AM

We used a block and tackle to hang the feeder from the tree, but if you just want to use a single pulley, you can raise and lower it by hooking it to your truck bumper and pulling it up with the truck. Lowering it usually is not a problem because you're dropping it when its empty.

White Falcon 05-22-2009 06:10 PM

The t posts have to be at the bottom of the feeder legs, so the Hogs can't get their whole head in the opening. If they do, they will lift the t post out and flip your feeder!!!

RooterShooter 06-02-2009 05:50 PM

I maintain about 15 feeders on a lease in N. Florida. Most of them are traditional tripods. What has worked well for me is to take a 4 foot section of rebar and beat it in the ground as far as I can with a slede hammer. then slip the lower end of the feeder leg over that. After I started doing it like that, I have never had one knocked down.