Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 The hog that wouldn't die....... >

The hog that wouldn't die.......

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

The hog that wouldn't die.......

Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default The hog that wouldn't die.......

Ok.....I set up a hog trap at the back of my folks land several months ago to try and get rid of the piggies destroying their land. I set a trail camera up to see what time they were moving through.

Caught about a dozen or so right off the bat....and then stopped getting game cam pics of all but ONE big boar hog. This one had got smart and simply wouldn't come into the trap to get the corn. He has been rooting up the ground underneath the trap for the last couple weeks and eating the corn that falls throught the bottom of the trap....smart piggy...

I finally got tired of feeding him, so I sat up against an oak with my .270 and a spotlight about 50 yards from a big pile of corn and waited for him to show up around 10 pm like he did every night per the time stamp on my game cam pics. About a half hour after dark I hear some movement and then the familiar hog grunts coming from in front of me.

I forgot to mention that I had my oldent son (13 years old) with me manning the spotlight. He was syked about trying to finally get this guy.
I wispered to him to shine the spotlight for a couple seconds out front. Sure enough, the big boar was there facing straight away from us eating corn.

HERE'S WHERE THE TITLE OF THE POST COMES INTO PLAY.....Thinking he might spook from the sudden light shining on him, I figured I better take the first good shot I had. Since he was facing directly away now with his head up munching on corn, I put the crosshairs on his spine right inbetween the shoulder blades and squeezed the trigger.

I lost sight of him from the muzzle flash since it was pitch dark, but I heard a "THUD" right after the shot and I ABSOLUTELY KNEW that was him slamming to the ground.....and it was......but then he was back up.

He was trying to run but couldn't. He wound up doing a drunken wobble/trot to my left. My son kept the spot light on him the whole time, so I found him again in the crosshairs quartering away a put a round in his ribs and out the offside shoulder. That finally dropped him...thank the Lord

On closer inspection....The first round entered the spine inbetween his shoulders and exited....are you ready....out of his mouth.

His nose, all his teeth, everything....was like jello.....

HOW IN THE WORLD DID HE EVER GET UP AND CONTINUE TO RUN????????????

Old 04-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The hog that wouldn't die.......

Congrats on getting that hog. Yep, hogs canbe very hardhard to kill.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Seriously folk.....

How does ANYTHING that takes a 130 gr.270 bullet into the spine between the shoulders running forward at or right below the brain and exit at the roof of the mouth/snout even twitch?

You could push on the top of the hogs shoulders and neck and hear the vertibrae crunching. He was totally blown apart.

Anyone had something similar happen where an animal kept going after a shot that should have put them down like lightning???

Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone had something similar happen where an animal kept going after a shot that should have put them down like lightning???

Watched a friend ofmine gut shoot a big hog with his .300 Winchester magnum.We chased that hog track for a half mile to a plum thicket. The hog jumped up and he gut shot it again. It went 200 yards after being shot the second time. Half of that hogs guts fell out and it was still trucking.

BTW: i usually hunt hogs from a stand overlooking a water hole or pond. The shot that you made on that hog is one of my favorites. All of mine have just bang flopped.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job....
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

I got one with a 450 Marlin one trip the gun went bang the hog took of running like he was not hit.he ran 70 yards down the road and fell over dead.opened him up no hart no lungs not a thing left up front.Hogs are hard to kill with out a head shot
Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on the pigs and nice shot[8D]
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

One thing I know for sure. If you sever ANYTHINGS spinal cord it will not move. You may have just chipped the spinal processes and not taken the cord out.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats, maybe it like a chicken running around without it's head, reflex action. It was dead it just didn't know it.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had them run over 100 yards with no heart or lungs left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.