HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   shot placement on hogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/288133-shot-placement-hogs.html)

buffhntr 03-02-2009 07:17 AM

shot placement on hogs

a friend of mine has alot of bottoms ground in georgia that is really really thick and he says if you dont shoot the hogs in the head you will lose them. I think a well placed shot low behind the shoulder with a grimreaper will do the job quickly with enough blood loss to track the hog. However he has a lot more experience than I do. What do you guys think

SWThomas 03-02-2009 11:11 AM

RE: shot placement on hogs

If you're bow hunting, you would probably want to aim for just behind the shoulder and then take your chances tracking them. If you're hunting with a rifle, you can opt for the head shot if you're close enough to be comfortable with the shot. Me personally, I would take a broadside shot centered on the shoulder. That way you will blow out both shoulders and that hog ain't going anywhere.... that is if you are using a strong enough bullet to retain it's energy and weight while going through all that bone.

buffhntr 03-02-2009 11:21 AM

I will be bow hunting

diamondaranch 03-02-2009 11:46 AM

Bowhunting for hogs can certainly be a load of fun. We have lots of hunters that come here just for that purpose.

However, you better place that shot behind the shoulder in the vitals and be prepared to do a little walking. An arrowis not going to go through that iron plate of a shoulder.

I have seen hogs (rifle shot) with their hearts blown to pieces run a looooooong distance. On the other hand, I have seen some drop on the spot.

Do whatever you are comfortable with and most of all.......enjoy your hunt!!

Best of luck!

Rebel Hog 03-03-2009 01:21 PM

YouTube - Hog Shot Placement

JoeA 03-03-2009 06:08 PM

Use their elbow as a reference. Their heart is low in the chest, just about right behind the elbow.

If your arrow enters at or above the middle of the top third of the body's profile....the hog's gonna jet on you and he'll run to the next county before he drops, if at all.

If you spine a hog, a quick follow up shot in the vitals will shorten any tracking job you may have to do. Sometimes spined hogs will get up and run, sometimes they don't.

North Texan 03-05-2009 05:05 PM

I'm jut a rifle (sometimes handgun) hunter, so I try to place all of my shots where the bullet penetrates right about where the brain and spine meet if possible. If I can't get a clear shot at the head, I try to hit it somewhere along a vertical line from low on the shoulder up to the spine. If I'm shooting low, I want to shoot through the leg bone, not around it. Makes the hog significantly less mobile, and the bones themselves add to the damage done by my bullet to some very vital organs and arteries.