Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog attracting tactics?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hog attracting tactics?

I'm headed down to my friends lease in Central FL this weekend. I've harvested deer there before but no hogs. We know the hogs are there because people have seen them on the property and there is faint evidence of hog activity. My question is, how do I draw them to a specific location? I have a blind set-up in the rear of the property that will allow me to approach it and get into it virtually undetected in the morning. It faces several shooting lanes we cut about 100 yards toward the rear propety limit. My plan is to dig a few holes in these lanes and pour some "Pig Out" into them. Should I cover them back up or leave them open? I was then going to spread some corn all around that area to draw them in and let them find the holes.

I've read and been told that it's best to try and find wollows near a water source or fresh rooting and bait those areas, but that kind of sign is scarce on this property. I figure if I haven't attracted any hogs after a few days there probably aren't any in the area.

Any tips?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hog attracting tactics?

No one has anything?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sour some corn and Coolaide in a 5 gallon bucket with the lid on for a week or so, leave it in the sun.

Dig holes about 3ft deep pour the soured corn mix in and cover.

Give the hogs a few days to find it, they will keep coming back till it's all gone
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 AM

I have corn feeders on my lease and we are just above you in jefferson county there is always someone dumping corn in and around the feeders on the property we also have a used motor oil pit for them on 2 of the box stands so the population is very strong !
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: provb28

I have corn feeders on my lease and we are just above you in jefferson county there is always someone dumping corn in and around the feeders on the property we also have a used motor oil pit for them on 2 of the box stands so the population is very strong !
So you dump your used motor oil on the ground for them to wollow in?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM

yep it keeps the mosquitos off of them when they are in the swamps and its hot they love it, one of our pits about a year ago was flat ground now its about 4 foot deep and about 6foot wide!!!
if you decide to use this method dont just pour motor oil all over your property designate a place next to a feeder or a brushy area where they frequent . normally between a good game trail that they use. it doesnt take much for them to keep comming back to that area if you add oil to it once in a while. take a couple of gallons of used oil on a good dirt patch near your stand or feeder give it a few weeks you will see them moving thru especially if you have a trail cam , I have a pic with 25 hogs in it !!!!!!!!! ohhhh I forgot they freak over apples one night heading out to a stand I was walking thru palmettos and dropped my head light when I picked it up all I could see is brush moving and snorts everywhere I tried to aim thru my scope but I couldnt see ****!!!!
I shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh real loud and they flipped out lmao come to find out my buddy dropped a **** load of apples all over the place.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: provb28

yep it keeps the mosquitos off of them when they are in the swamps and its hot they love it, one of our pits about a year ago was flat ground now its about 4 foot deep and about 6foot wide!!!
if you decide to use this method dont just pour motor oil all over your property designate a place next to a feeder or a brushy area where they frequent . normally between a good game trail that they use. it doesnt take much for them to keep comming back to that area if you add oil to it once in a while. take a couple of gallons of used oil on a good dirt patch near your stand or feeder give it a few weeks you will see them moving thru especially if you have a trail cam , I have a pic with 25 hogs in it !!!!!!!!! ohhhh I forgot they freak over apples one night heading out to a stand I was walking thru palmettos and dropped my head light when I picked it up all I could see is brush moving and snorts everywhere I tried to aim thru my scope but I couldnt see ****!!!!
I shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh real loud and they flipped out lmao come to find out my buddy dropped a **** load of apples all over the place.
That's pretty interesting. You better hope no one catches you dumping used oil on the ground like that...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 AM

I dont think we will have a problem with conscidering the area is about a 4 ft area and its not like we dump barrels of used oil in that spot more so just enough to mix with the dirt so the hogs can come in and get themselves covered in it !
Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some Black Gold hog attractant. It'll draw'em in. The'll eat, rub on it and wallow in it. Rather than pour oil on the ground, nail 3-4' wide strips of old carpet around a tree near a wallow or main trail. Pour oil (and Black Gold too, if you got it) on the carpet. Hogs will rub and rub on it.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Has anyone here tried Black Gold Attractant? I was looking at their web sight and the stuff seams awful pricey.

Quick Reply: Hog attracting tactics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.