HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   First time hog hunting with dogs, need advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/283327-first-time-hog-hunting-dogs-need-advice.html)

Gangly 01-19-2009 07:42 AM

First time hog hunting with dogs, need advice

This friday and saturday I will be taking my dogs to go hunt some hogs for the first time. I am wondering what suggestions any of you might have for a first time hog dogger. Any good advice?

drs1961 01-21-2009 05:56 AM

RE: First time hog hunting with dogs, need advice

Put a vest on your catch dog if you're using one and carry a stitching kit. Make sure you have enough leashes to tie up all dogs in case you wind up in a tight spot where there is little access to the bayed hog for a shot or to knife. You don't want any of your dogs hit by friendly fire. They've got a big enough risk dealing with the pigs. A game cart and several pieces of rope can help greatly to get a large hog out. They are DEAD weight once they're down. And if you're in briar country, chaps or briar britches, leather glovesand a canvas jacket will save you some blood loss because a thick briar patch is where thehog will go to fight.

Gangly 01-21-2009 07:41 AM

i have plenty of leashes, tie outs, a come-along to get a large hog out if neccessary, gloves, jackets, etc. My thoughts are that as soon as the catch dogs get a grip on the hogs head, then its my time to come in and wrap things up. Is that a good way to go about it, or should you wait 2-3 minutess to give the caughthog a chance to wear out before stepping in the ring with him and the dogs?

Jim_IV 01-21-2009 11:23 AM

We typically get in and stab them quick, that way there is less of a chance for a dog to get hurt. But remember to keep yourself safe first

mez 01-21-2009 01:37 PM

What Jim said. As soon as you are sure the dog has a good hold get in there. The dogs will get tired much quicker than the hog will.

The hog will see you coming even with all the commotion and dogs. If it is a big hog he'll drag the dogs and meet you as you go toward him.

Be prepared to see your dogs get hurt. It is going to happen, sometimes very seriously. Have a roll of saran wrap with you. Catch dogs have a tendency to get cut under the front legs and around the chest. If they get cut deep and it opens their chest they will die before you can get them somewhere. The saran wrap is a quick fix that will keep them alive. If one gets their chest opened up bad you will hear air sucking in the hole as they breath. Wrap several layers of the saran wrap around them and it will seal the hole and allow you to get them somewhere. Can also come in handy to keep the insides on the inside if they get a bad cut into the abdomen.

You didn't menetion tracking collars, would highly recommend those if you don't have any. I would put one on the catch dog as well. A hog gets away from the catch dog and he follows he'll be wore out by the time he catches it again and likely will get hurt pretty bad as they don't know when to quit. If a hog gets away and you have a catch do down run, ride or drive to keep up you don't want the dog fighting the hog with you not around.

Take extra clothes and boots along, if there is water the hog will get in it and it can make the ride home much more pleasant if you get soaked. Don't know if you are knifing, tieing or shooting the hogs but I would have a side arm that you are accurate with out to 70-80 yards. You get a runner and you'll have a hard time getting the bay dogs off of him. You can sneak in and shoot them to save yourself a lot of headache and miles. Also could come in handy in a pinch with a big hog.

Gangly 01-21-2009 03:24 PM

thanxs guys. The individual running the hunt is bringing his bay dogs and catch dogs. He has been kind enough to offer totake timeand help me train my dogs on some smaller hogs this weekend, with hopes of letting them get on a decent one if they hold true to their genetics. Cut vests and collars will definately be used to minimize the potential for injuries. I just want to make sure im able to keep my end of the deal if the dogs do their part, so thanx for the helpful replies guys.