HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   How should I hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/281526-how-should-i-hunt.html)

Gunn 01-06-2009 10:33 AM

How should I hunt?

I went on my first hog hunt last summer and it was...amazing.

Now I am going back for round two and was wondering what your suggestions would be for the hunt. The basic set up is like this. I go with a guide who can drop me in a stand early and if I am unsuccessful by noon they will bring out the dogs.

Last year I went with the dogs from the get go.

I will be flying to Florida from the north east. That means I won't bring a gun, I would at best bring a bow (which I have never hunted with). Or I can rent a gun.

So what would you do? Bow, gun from the stand, gun with dogs, or....the knife?

I would love to hear your feedback on which you would prefer and why.

Thanks in advance.

Gangly 01-06-2009 01:58 PM

RE: How should I hunt?

I have yet to stick one with a knife, but I definately would prefer to do it that way than any other way. Actuallyfinishing the hunt up close and personal withmy hands seems to be a pretty neat idea to me.

Leafrivermac 01-06-2009 03:33 PM

Just curious, when you say hunting with a knife you mean dispatching the hog while the dogs have him caught don't you? Lol, I have this mental picture of sitting in a tree and dropping down on one and stabbing for all your worth.:D

Gunn 01-06-2009 03:38 PM

Obviously you are unfamiliar with my ninja skills. Actually, I only do that when I 'm really hungry.

I thinking going to try and go from the stand and then see how I feel. If I am successful and I want more then I'll head after it with a knife, and you are right, many many dogs.

If I am unsuccessful in the stand then I'll just tuck my tail and do dogs and guns.

Now I'm getting excited.

idunno 01-08-2009 01:13 PM

Rambo could do it, I can too.

dukedog1 01-08-2009 09:24 PM

How about the spear. No dogs. Just caveman style.

JustinJeanne 01-09-2009 01:48 PM

do it with a knife done it lots of time its a good rush just make sure the dogs have the hog first, can get really ugly if they dont, good luck

The Rev 01-10-2009 12:57 PM

I use a bow exclusively for everything. To me it takes more skill and a lot more patience. Gun hunting to me is like going to the meat market. :D

Gunn 01-12-2009 03:41 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. I will tell you what the final verdict is once I head down there and I will definitely post a photo of the hunt.

Thanks again everyone, and keep the input coming.