Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Which gun should I use?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which gun should I use?

Any caliber will work for a hog . . .just like what has been said aim just behind the ear. I usually shot them with a 30/30.
I killed a 350 lb domestic boar once by just whoping him across the forehead with a rotten pine limb. We were trying to herd him into a stall for a vaccination. One tap and he was down . . . .my dad was'nt too impressed.
I can't tell you how many people I talk to tell me about all the pigs they have shot but never found.
You value your pigs, I can't tell you how many hogs have been shot and never even looked for. To us their a pest.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Spike

Funny, it is all the rude and unethical hunters who I always considered to be the pest.

Pigs are just a animal doing what animals do. Guess you would have also been in part of the buffalo slaughter back in the day because they were a pest to the railroad companies. Pretty sad.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stancel

Funny, it is all the rude and unethical hunters who I always considered to be the pest.

Pigs are just a animal doing what animals do. Guess you would have also been in part of the buffalo slaughter back in the day because they were a pest to the railroad companies. Pretty sad.
Of all the game animals in the U.S., the wild Hog is the one who multiplies in Litters. If they are now out of control is because of Wildlife Management and State Controlled, except forFlorida whichthey are only controlled on Wildlife Management Areas and open year round day or night on private lands ( personal and hunting clubs)...

Hogs change water flow from streams that lead to rivers and cause flooding in may areas anddestroy 1000's of agricultural fields which means $millions in farmer lost..

If they are out of controll.........Blame your state and not the hogs...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

That being said, when open gun season starts that marks the end of my ear shots. I always aim for the area just above where the front leg meets the body.
This is my strategy. Here's one I shot last summer, you can see the entry point just aft of the LF shoulder. I aimed just slightly behind the shoulder so as not to mess up any more meat than necessary. (I'm hoping the photo comes thru, I haven't tried posting a pic B4)

I estimated this one at roughly 150-160 pounds. It was pretty tough eating, so most of it went into a pressure cooker for at least 45 minutes. It came out falling apart like pulled pork, and we ate it with a fork.

I shot a 75-80 pound sow in November. I hit the front leg and completely broke the upper bone. The bullet then pierced the heart and exited right at the sternum, making a hole about the size of a 50-cent piece. It left a trail an 8-year-old could have followed, which was good because it still ran over 200 yards before it dropped.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of people say to aim behind the ear, but I do a LOT of hog hunting down here in the swamps of the dirty south. The ONLY time I take a ear shot is early in the year when I can only use a .22 rifle. And then, I very rarely pull the trigger. Actually, I don't shot behind the ear. I aim right for the ear canal. No bones to stop the bullet.

Stan
Agreed. OccasionallyI hunt them and when I do, it's with a .22lr and I dont aim behind the ear either. I aim between the eyes and the ear on broadside shots, usually just in front of the ear, or at the cross between the eyes and ears on head-on shots. Quartering shots I dont usually take.Never haveI not had comeplete pass through with a 22 out to 50 yards on broadside shots. Head on shots usually get lost somewhere in the neck as its going back. Out past 50 yards, I dont shoot with the 22.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Here are some pic's of Venados hog kills...Venado is a member on here and owns a Ranch in Texas... http://residents.bowhunting.net/awesomehunting

These hogs were killed by ear shot with CZ.17 cal HMR..........

Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: der Teufel

That being said, when open gun season starts that marks the end of my ear shots. I always aim for the area just above where the front leg meets the body.
This is my strategy. Here's one I shot last summer, you can see the entry point just aft of the LF shoulder. I aimed just slightly behind the shoulder so as not to mess up any more meat than necessary. (I'm hoping the photo comes thru, I haven't tried posting a pic B4)

I estimated this one at roughly 150-160 pounds. It was pretty tough eating, so most of it went into a pressure cooker for at least 45 minutes. It came out falling apart like pulled pork, and we ate it with a fork.

I shot a 75-80 pound sow in November. I hit the front leg and completely broke the upper bone. The bullet then pierced the heart and exited right at the sternum, making a hole about the size of a 50-cent piece. It left a trail an 8-year-old could have followed, which was good because it still ran over 200 yards before it dropped.

Nice sow. They usually have a little more fat than the boars which is nice when making sausage. Nice kill man.!!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly, and what pigs do is ruin fields of corn and beans and grass patches. They tear up feeders and cause erosion. They probably eat turkey eggs and will probably spread desease if left unchecked.
Just on a few hundred acres of swamp land we prolly catch and kill at least 50 every yr. We eat some, sell some , and just kill some. If we could get rid of them period we would but it just ain't gonna happen. Just about the time you think their thinned out a bit their back again in droves.
If the buffalo bred at 6 mnths of age and had two or three litters a yr of 6 calves they would prolly still be here to. Buffalo were a natural part of the environment and not an introduced species such as the fire ant, the cock roach and the feral hog.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Spike

I hear what you are saying, but I was taught to have too much respect for wildlife to kill something and leave it laying there for the buzzards. Mother earth always rights itself if you just give her a chance.

Down here in Southern Louisiana we have lots of hogs. I would go so far as to say they are over populated, BUT, meanwhile the black bears have been over hunted and there aren't any left down here, people shot coyotes for the hell of it, and Jaguar's were once native to this area, but have also been hunted until there are none left. All of these animals are natural predators of the feral pig. Now, they have opened a year round season on Bobcats. So what is next? Probably an explosion in the rabbit and field mouse populations. Then what? Start killing rabbits and leaving them for dead because they are considered a "pest" to farmers? As usual, it all comes down to the fact that people who call themselves "hunters" just like to kill animals for no good reason, and the result is a imbalance in the predator/prey ratio.

I think there is just a huge loss of respect for animals and nature. You can see it in the trash all over the ground in the areas I hunt, and the animals that are killed for no reason. I guess this is just a sore point on my part. Some people just like to kill animals, and others view the taking of a animals life very seriously. To each his own. I am not out to change the world.

Stan
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I just hope theres never a limit put on how many can be legally taken. If it were'nt for shooting and catching large numers of them I feel we would be over-run entirely.
Just curious tho . . .it seems that a big boar 400 lbs or even better with big tusks is a trophy to a lot of folk. Do you guys actually eat that thing? If not, then it's killed just to be killing it (I have no problem with that as they are becoming more and more aggresive and could harm a youngster). I take a few for meat but prefer something 100 lbs or less. Anyone that can eat a 400 lb wild boar is a true predator in my book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.