HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hunting with spears? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/279110-hunting-spears.html)

Jeko 12-18-2008 04:09 PM

Hunting with spears?

Has anyone every heard of hog hunting with spears or knifes? I know that it is banned in california, but in Texas it is a legal kill method. This sounds like an extremely exciting way to take down a charging hog. I was looking at the information here:

http://www.spear-hunting.com

The Rev 12-18-2008 04:40 PM

RE: Hunting with spears?

ORIGINAL: Jeko

Has anyone every heard of hog hunting with spears or knifes? I know that it is banned in california, but in Texas it is a legal kill method. This sounds like an extremely exciting way to take down a charging hog. I was looking at the information here:

http://www.spear-hunting.com
I saw a guy get on with a spear once, he tracked it over 400 yards before it expired... Not my cup of tea. I don't mind the spear, I just don't like to chase a pig all over Texas.

I know I left myself open :D.

RLoving1 12-18-2008 07:22 PM

There's a place south of me that hunts them with some good dogs to catch and how you dispatch them is your choice...heard some folks have got to them with knives and maybe one guy had speared one! Too close for me...top of tree with bow is close enough! Saw some hogs that had been knifed down on the coast years ago...no way would I climb in that stuff with sharp piece of steel and dysfunctional mutt hoping to suvive!

Centaur 1 12-18-2008 08:23 PM

A buddy of mine shoved a spear through the chest of pig and pinnedit to the ground. He held on to the back end of the spear for twenty minutes while it ran in circles trying to get him. He never hunted with a spear again.

kodiakhuntmaster 12-19-2008 12:53 AM

I've killed several hogs with knives. That's how I learned to hog hunt. Spears would work just as well, but it's harder to drag one through thick brush, unlike a knife that's strapped to your hip. When you have four good catch dogs, it's probably safer to use the knife because there's less chance of hitting one of your dogs. Heck, people who hunt the area I used to mostly "hog" tie them and bring them out alive these days. It's not hard. When you stick the hog, it takes less than 30 seconds for them to die, unless you miss the heart, you'll know when you hit it, if you don't, fish around until you find it. It's all over for the hog after that.

Spearing one without the aid of dogs would be touchy. If that were the case, I'd stick to using a bow. If you must use something more primitive than that, use an atlatl. They're easy to make and if you make a good one, your range will be about the same as a primitive or traditional bow.

burniegoeasily 12-19-2008 07:11 AM

Yep. Ive killed several hogs with knives. Its pretty common practice around here. Run them with dogs and dispatch them with a knife. I know of a few people who use spears just so they dont have to get on the hogs back.

Jeko 12-19-2008 09:12 PM

would anyone be intrested in writing some articles for my website- PM me if intrested

The Rev 12-19-2008 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Yep. Ive killed several hogs with knives. Its pretty common practice around here. Run them with dogs and dispatch them with a knife. I know of a few people who use spears just so they dont have to get on the hogs back.
Run? Did you see the cigarsI smoke? That's the reason I fought Rowel over the tree stand I was hunting, it was about a hundred yards closer.. I'd stick a hog with a knife only if I was allowed to chase the dogs using a four wheeler! Remember asking me about Methuselah? We were in the first grade together.:D

kodiakhuntmaster 12-20-2008 01:41 AM

Where in the world are you sticking that thing if you have to be on his back??? (words I thought I'd never say:D)

I've always just stood beside them andstuck them low behind the front shoulder, angling inwarda little to get the center of the heart. You sir, are a tougher man than I if you're getting on their backs to stick them!

I suppose if the dogs let go, you could just ride the thing back to the truck?[8D]

I've heard of people "flipping" the hog on it's side to get a better angle, but never getting on their back.

The Rev 12-20-2008 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Where in the world are you sticking that thing if you have to be on his back??? (words I thought I'd never say:D)

I've always just stood beside them andstuck them low behind the front shoulder, angling inwarda little to get the center of the heart. You sir, are a tougher man than I if you're getting on their backs to stick them!

I suppose if the dogs let go, you could just ride the thing back to the truck?[8D]

I've heard of people "flipping" the hog on it's side to get a better angle, but never getting on their back.
Most of the time the catch dog pins the hog down on it's back, however some do flip the hog over on it's back. You stab in it in the heart, and you will know when you've hit the heart.