Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hoggin....COLLEGE STYLE!!! >

Hoggin....COLLEGE STYLE!!!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hoggin....COLLEGE STYLE!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hoggin....COLLEGE STYLE!!!

So there I am driving a young lady back to her apartment after a party at a dorm. She was “hanging with the boys” and matching everybody shot for shot with Black Velvet whiskey and slamming Michelob beer. About half way to her house I found out that she had eaten corn! With me screaming explicative’s about opening the @#$%*&^ door. What does this have to do with hunting? Well I made up some pig corn and when I poured it out it reminded me of the next day when I opened my truck door in the August heat 20 some odd years ago. YUCK!!! The pigs really like it though and I made 10 gallons for the pure pig pleasure of it. Yessiree it is another pig EXTRAVAGANZA!!!

I took David (the 13 year old that got the deer) and his dad John up to the lease. I also have new guy that just joined after I took him up and he is from St. Pete also. He has a piece of the lease right next to mine. You see I have an ulterior motive. If I can get 5 to 7 guys with the like mind and we cordoned off a big enough piece of the lease we can spend HUGE amounts of money so the locals can come and hunt our stuff while we are not there. But who knows maybe we can bring in some quality game critters. His name is Jim ( a new name) for those of you doing the Snook/lease flow chart gimmick. It was his first trip up and I had scouted out a few trails for him to put a stand and a feeder on. We put up his first ladder stand and dumped 5 gallons out for his first hunt on the lease.

We had arrived Saturday morning early because I have those wifey Christmas party things to do and you gotta keep momma happy. David and John went to the oaks stand(their fav) and I went swamp. It was a full moon and so bright I did not need a light to walk the trails. I am sneaking up on the feeder when the inevitable happens. I jump a herd of bacon waiting for the thing to go off. They are getting so used to them that they have created bedding under the bushes off to the side of my feeders. I climb in my stand and watch a beautiful sunrise but nothing comes in. Oh well I climb down to check the other pile of corn puke I poured on a road a few roads down. Sure enough it has been visited by hogs but they are not there. I did manage to scare the crap out of myself with some quail and two deer. The only problem with shooting a quail with a bow is finding that arrow later. I was also not sure if I had enough kinetic energy to penetrate the big male bobwhites shield so I took a pass. But I could have done it easy, they fly slow, sure I could. I met up with David and John and they saw nothing either. It was 8:20 and I told them to stay in the stand till at least 10:30 because the deer were walking around 9:00 a.m. I cannot wait to show them the trail cam pic of the 9 point buck that walked in there at 9:23 that morning. Trail cams work folks.

We went into Mayo and I bought a couple tons of lime to put on my food plot and got back to work on spreading. David is 13 so he has energy to spare and wanted to go after whatever. Jim was right beside me at the truck and we had a flock of turkeys get split right beside us at around 11. Jim grabs a shottie and goes for Christmas dinner. David takes my 06 and starts down the road. He does not make it 50 yards and has five deer jump out in front of him. He freaks so no shot. I spread the lime, return the contraption and we get ready to get in the stands at 2:00 because the deer are starting to walk at 3ish. Remember to trust your cams.

We settle in and I hear Jims gun go BOOM around 4:46! Cool I hope he got a hog. Well he didn’t get one. He only got a six point buck that must be one of my fourteen point’s babies due to the REALLY long tines. I am enjoying the scene of a baby mouse and her brood eating corn and all hell breaks loose at the oaks. There are dogs barking and pigs screaming and guns blazing away. I gave the kid my 22 mag to head shoot hogs with and it only holds 7 rounds. Buddy guess what he used them all and the spares I gave his dad but he has only used a gun three times in his life. Needless to say he missed them but MAN WAS HE AMPED when he got back to the truck. I was listening to this fiasco and I had a little black hog come RUNNING through my stand area like a fat kid chasing the ice cream truck. Never even slowed down. Then a very nice 150ish momma hog comes through like a bat out of hell and even bounced off of a stump. What the heck is happening over there? I got down investigating and the story went like this.

They were in the stand and dog hunters were getting closer and closer. Then they caught up to the hogs and the squealing began. They were very close to the oaks stand and they had 5 waves of pigs come flying through. First wave big black hog and piglets. 2nd wave family group with mommas and baby pigs and David is shooting. 3rd wave more of the same. 4th wave is about 20 babies and they are bouncing off of stumps and ramming into each other as they do circles trying to get their bearing. David is now loading for round two. 5th and last wave is just a few smallish type hogs. When I met with them they told me they did not score but IT WAS EXCITING! Well that is what it is all about. Jim had already gone for a celebratory inebriatory beverage. Good stuff. We stayed for a morning hunt.

The morning was perfect. Flat clam and no wind. Went into our stands and mine did not go off. I checked and the battery was fried. So I strolled around and spotted a doe down the road at my end of the road stand. I started stalking her but after I had gone 30 yards out pops David and John and blow her out of there. Oh well it just is not my weekend. We pack and service the beasts (feeders) and head home for a good house cleaning and ironing session. Remember….keep momma happy.

I got a pm saying that my posts were worthless without pics so I have posted one.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hoggin....COLLEGE STYLE!!!

It is a happy puppy.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM

You sure do write some entertaining stuff! I'm gald I found this site.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Spike

Good stuff, hope to come down and shoot me some bacon...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

great story
Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Entertaining read as usual snook,I always enjoy these posts.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 AM

nice pic. doesn't relate to exotic wildlife AT ALL but still made me laugh.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM

The way to go College hogging: group of guys getting drunk on thursday night. "Don't want to do this on weekends cause people may see you. only drunks on weekdays." every guy puts $10 bucks in the hat. Go to the local bar and see who can bring home the fattest girl. Must have conformation by at least two guys of said party.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Yeah real funny, till your sister wins someone $50.