Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hogs have they impacted your area? >

Hogs have they impacted your area?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs have they impacted your area?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hogs have they impacted your area?

I live in Oregon, everytime the hogs start getting up here they are shot off, so my question is... Do you think eventually they will spread into Oregon? Will this be good or bad, my mind is twisted, some people hate it, some people love them everywhere... So do you like having hogs? Did they do damage to your habitat? Did deer leave when hogs moved in? I just would like your opinion is on hogs, thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hogs have they impacted your area?

So do you like having hogs?
No

Did they do damage to your habitat?
You bet they do they will root up everything, I have seen some fields that look like they have been freshly plowed after a mob of pigs have been there.

Did deer leave when hogs moved in?
Hogs will compete with the deer for food and with deer being a timid animal the hogs will push them out.

everytime the hogs start getting up here they are shot off,
Nothing wrong with that I wish they would do more of it down here in TX, the ranchers complain about the damage the hogs do then want an arm and a leg for people to hunt them.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a impact on hogs! Impacted one at 70mph on motorcycle!They do damage to land and native game population.Like Kanga said it won't get better till outfitters and landowners quit charging us to help with the problem.I have no problem with some tresspass fee but not going to pay as much for problem hog as I can buy beef for!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

YES they have impacted my area. We farm and there's fields we can barely get peanuts to grow in because every time we plant the little bastards root them up. We put a bullet in every one that shows itself around here. Yes they will run off your deer and your turkeys as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: OregonOutdoorDude

Do you think eventually they will spread into Oregon?
Depends on the habitat.........They don't like snow..

So do you like having hogs?
Always

Did they do damage to your habitat?
They do, but we thin them down.....Hey, deer also do harm to our Strawberry Fields, Water Melon Fields, Tomato Fields, etc.,etc.,

Did deer leave when hogs moved in?
Yep!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

They will spread like fleas. I can remember when they were just in the East and South Texas. I now have them all over my land in West Texas. I have even seen them in Lubbock county . Had one tear up the field behind my lake cabin not long ago. There were never hogs at the lake before.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Their just a fact of life here. Yes, they root up crops and food plots, and run off deer.
We generally just shoot them on sight. The smaller ones, we eat a few and give away. Also, we have several traps out and catch them on a regular basis right now. Soon, we will have them beat down temporarily and maybe we can actually shoot a few deer.
The last few yrs they have become more aggressive . . . .probably due to the Russians that folks have brought in.
Hog hunting with dogs is pretty popular here. The folk I know that hunt them with dogs also stock the swamps with them. . . . .If it were up to me they would all be wiped out but I know it's wishful thinking as they breed like rats and have several litters a yr of up to 16, plus the young breed early on.
I went hunting this evening and three hogs were killed near me. Today is the first day this yr that I was in the swamp and did'nt kill at least one hog. We also had two in a trap that my dad will prolly feed out for smoked meat.
Reb, I had Liz can a shoat I killed the other day. One of the jars did'nt seal so I asked her to go ahead and cook it. She fixed it in a tomato gravy over rice with bisquits . . . . .boys was that good . . .but bad on the blood pressure.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, any more info?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I love having hogs on my properties. It provides me with a year round sporting opportunity.

Sure, they compete for alot of the same food as our deer. But with the amount of hunting pressure we put on our hogs, there is not an issue with running off the deer.

Will they migrate farther north? I think so. The european hogs withstand frigid temps without much concern. And our hogs are direct decendants of those (most are,anyway).
Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yep!!

Quick Reply: Hogs have they impacted your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.