Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hogs have they impacted your area? >

Hogs have they impacted your area?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs have they impacted your area?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hogs have they impacted your area?

Hogs have over-run this part of OK. The deer have suffered because of it. Last year we had a very good pecan and acorn crop. We have a great acorn crop this year as well. In a year when the acorns are scarce the deer go hungry. Yesterdaygot a call from the guy i gave abig sow to the other evening. His sow was pregnant with 8 pigs: Mine with6.

Deer and elk, especially elk, do not like to drink from the same pond as hogs. Hogs do kill fawns. I've seen hogs run deer off the game plots, away from the ponds and out of the wheat fields.Hogs are like a vacuum cleaner going over the ground; they eat the eggs and young of ground nesting birds and cause a lot of environmental damage with their rooting. Hogs damage the ponds that other wildlife depend on.

Many states are not getting serious about their hog population.Some states have caliber restrictions and restrictions on hunting hogs outside of deer season. Here in OK there are restrictions on hunting hogs at night and hunting hogs in some WMAs. Last year the OK game commissionshot hogs from helicopters in a couple WMAs where theydo not let folks hunt hogs.

Am starting to have a hog problem atour place in Garvin county, Ok. i hate to see that. Got to spend some serious time there hunting hogs.
i never let a hog go to waste. There is always someone who will take a hog off your hands.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Spike

Hogs are in our area and have done a lot of damage already. I and the other folks in our area see NO good reason to have them around. Our feed plots are ruined quicker than they can be planted. Our crops are corn, wheat and soybeans are damaged a lot more than by anything else in the woods. Everyone is shot on site and they have all been full of corn. Nine shot in the last three months. There has even been damage to folks yards. Also, one hit by a auto and heavy damage done to it.
Problem is an individual brought them in thinking WHAT? no one knows. It is illegal to bring in non domestic animals and release to the wild. Anyone should know Arkansas hogs cannot be keep in a fence.

Amereican
Old 12-10-2008, 08:54 AM

I live in Maine. No wild hogs up here. I love to hunt hogs though. For the past 4 years, my buddies and I have been traveling to either Florida or Texas to hunt them. What I always hear from southern land owners is that you want to get rid of all your hogs. However, most of these land owners make it so darned expensive that I can't afford it.

Here in the north, we can hunt deer for a couple of months, IF you bow hunt and rifle hunt. Then we are done hunting for the year except for coyote and groundhogs. I would LOVE to have hogs to hunt all year long. I could care less if they impacted the deer feed. Heck, all these worthless turkeys up here vacuum up most of the food as it is. Shoot the turkey and get what? 2 meals?

I'm ready to move south just to be able to hunt more, maybe you should count your blessings.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

Wish they were up here in Ontario need something new to hunt.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

i would love to go hog hunting also, but it is to darn expensive. i live in wisconsin and they are starting to move in up here and even though i want to hunt them so bad i dont want them here because of what they would do to all the other game i hunt.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

On our lease we see there sign in the fields, but them silly things only come out at night here. So far they have not found our food plots, they seem the like the hay we put out for cows. They root up in it after the cows trample it down.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

In central Texas we're experiencing a pretty severe drought, and as a result the hogs have moved into areas they've never traveled before. It makes the more difficult because they're dispersed over a much wider area now. Here's an example of what they did to a grazing area in probably less than a week.

Besides the immediate loss of grazing, this area will have to be smoothed and replanted (if we ever get rain). All these things amount to additional costs to the land owner.