Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

mule footed hog

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mule footed hog

I went hunting this morning and when i was leaving , a friend called and said that he had something that i wanted, lol...then he proceeds to tell me he got a mule footed boar hog in his trap
He trapped a waddled sow about 200lbs. last week and i was just jokng when i told him to go get a mule footed one to breed with her, well that's what he did and that's what he's going to do, woohooo....here are some pics...it's my first time even seeing one myself
Have y'all seen one before ? all 4 of the feet were mule footed

Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: mule footed hog

that's different, but what's the significance? please forgive my ignorance. i'm very new and still learning very much
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the photo of the nice mule footed hog. i've only read about them.

that's different, but what's the significance? please forgive my ignorance. i'm very new and still learning very much

Reported by Kevin Ryer

Here in East Tx we run across the rare breed only occasionally. They seem rather prolific around Athens, Palestine, Van and Lindale areas. All the MuleFoots I have ran across were prodominately black and tan in color.
When trapped they were unusually aggressive strong animals. More so than the normal feral hogs. Early research indicated that the hogs were first introduced to the US by Easterners in the Early Railroad Days. But I have found no written or historical evidence to back up that claim.

[blockquote]The following information was obtained from an Oklahoma State University web page. I reference that web page to make and publish a study and facts page of my own.

According to OSU and it's research, "The most distinctive feature of the American Mulefoot hog is the solid hoof which resembles that of a mule. Pigs with solid hooves (also called syndactylism) have attracted the interest of many writers over the centuries, including Aristotle and Darwin. Yet of all the mulefooted hogs described, the American Mulefoot is the only documented population with a breed standard and a long history of agricultural use. This breed is unique to the United States and is critically rare. Recent events, however, have led to more optimism regarding its survival. The origin of the American Mulefoot breed is not clear, but it has a well-documented history over the last century. F.D. Coburn, in his classic 1916 book Swine in America, notes that the Mulefoot hog was found in Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, across the southwest and in some parts of Mexico. (In southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, Mulefoots were sometimes called "Ozark pigs.") The National Mulefoot Hog Record Association was organized in Indianapolis, Indiana, in January 1908. Two additional registries were also founded. In 1910 there were 235 breeders registered in twenty-two states." [/blockquote]
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

We've had a few mule-foot turn up in the coastal swamps around Beaufort SC and some of our cohorts from eastern NC say that they get them pretty regularly. They're definately a conversation topic for many who have never even heard of them much less seen one.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Spike

Coincidentally, we had a 4 footed mule footed hog taken at hunting camp this week as well. I wish I had the pictures to share.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drs1961

We've had a few mule-foot turn up in the coastal swamps around Beaufort SC and some of our cohorts from eastern NC say that they get them pretty regularly. They're definately a conversation topic for many who have never even heard of them much less seen one.
I'm over here in Port Royal. Where do you usually hunt?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I'm over here in Port Royal. Where do you usually hunt?
We mostlyhunt in and around the Congaree and Wateree River swamps. We have some friends in Charleston and Walterboro that hunt and trap hogs down there. The fellow in Walterboro is the one who has trapped several of the mule-foots.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder how much it would cost to put shoes on it?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'm half way serious with this question, perhaps one of our Jewish brothers can answer it. What would be the ramifications of a hog that does not have a cloven hoof, as far as kosher eating goes?

I feel for the Jews, and the Muslims too, because pig tastes good.

Bob
Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Great pic's Casey, thanks for sharing on that oddity....

Quick Reply: mule footed hog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.