Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

euro mount prep?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM

Default euro mount prep?

I am planning on doing a euro mount when I get back from my next hunt and was wondering what methods everyone has had the best luck with. I have heard that boiling and peroxide is used but not recommended because it damages the skull. Any tips would be appreciated. I was thinking of burying the skull in a plastic tot with holes drilled in it to let the bugs take care of it. Does this sound like a good idea? I live in Florida and the bugs never really die in the winter so there would be plenty of them.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: euro mount prep?

I've done 4 deer mounts in the euro style using the following process. If you've got the patience and a fairly stout stomach, here's a really easy method that produces a very clean mount and it's good for any temp above freezing, and it gets everything out even in the most tiniest hidden areas. *The smell is not very bad but what you see dumping out is nasty.

Be prepared because this process cantakes months, depending on temperature,for all the unwanted tissue to slough off. But hey, it costs almost nothing and produces a pretty nice piece depending on your attention. Be sure to keep it where critters can't get to it!

Clean offas much meat/tissueas possible from the skull, or, as littledepending on how much time you want to invest. Now, find a bucket large enough to submerge the skull completely in water. Let this set for a couple weeks at a time, change water dumping the dirty water far from your house [:'(](This is where you find out how stout your stomach is). When the skull is free of all unwanted material, change the water and add some bleach, say half a cup. Let set for a couple hours or all day. When you dump off this last water your mount should be clean and bleached. Rinse clean with a low pressure water hose. The bone will become a brighter white as it dries.
When you first remove the skull you may notice some seams in the bone that are flexible but if you'll use some care handling the skull, as it dries it hardens and firms up.

Any teeth in the skull will probably have to be glued in place after drying for a couple days. I use super glue. Also, a dull white spray paintcan touch up spots that you may want whiter than they are.

Warning: If there is any part you don't want to bleach, such as antlers, keep that part out of the bleach. I know from unfortunate experience, the dark colors on antlers will bleach white as bone!!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:55 AM
Spike

Here is one that I did last year using the boil system & 12% hydrogen peroxide & Basic White that I got from Van Dykes.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link from the Taxidermy section talking about how they do it in their shops..

http://www.hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2394513
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

From everything I've read, DON'T use bleach! It makes the bone brittle and yellows with time.

Hydrogen peroxide is the way most people get the skull white.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM

thanks for all the replies. I was going to let the skull sit in a bucket of water but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. Also I have no where to dump the water away from any houses. which is why I planned to bury it. But all the tips help since there are so many opinions on the proper way.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jwred306

thanks for all the replies. I was going to let the skull sit in a bucket of water but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. Also I have no where to dump the water away from any houses. which is why I planned to bury it. But all the tips help since there are so many opinions on the proper way.
Believe it or not, the smell is not bad at all. It's the look of whatdumps outthat is tough for me!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: npaden

From everything I've read, DON'T use bleach! It makes the bone brittle and yellows with time.

Hydrogen peroxide is the way most people get the skull white.
You're probably right, but my oldest mount is about 8 yrs old and it hasn't yellowed, yet.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

xk where did you get that plaque ?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

Believe it or not, the smell is not bad at all. It's the look of whatdumps outthat is tough for me!
I actually have 2 whitetail skulls and a pig skull soaking in my barn right now and the smell isn't bad at all while they are soaking. If you disturb the water or dump it out it is pretty bad, but it goes away after a few days!

P.S. - Don't splash any on yourself or any clothes you want to keep!

Quick Reply: euro mount prep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.