HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Russian Boars (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/271557-russian-boars.html)

Booney160 11-03-2008 06:01 PM

Russian Boars

I have an opportunity to hunt some russian boars which have gotten out of a fenced in game reserve and are tearing up the surrounding property. Are russian boars the same pigs that run wild in the south? I don't know much about the animal, I read on here that in the south digging a hole and baiting with a concoction of corn attracts pigs, also spot of stalk will always work. I'd like to kill as many of the pigs as possible since they shouldn't be in the wild up here. Any adviceand ideas to eradicate the animals? Will any predator calls work? Currently I plan to wait until snow, then go in and bait and stalk the animals in the snow.

Thanks

NateSmith 11-04-2008 09:37 AM

RE: Russian Boars

More or less, they're the same kind of pigs. It depends. The body type of russian boars is a certain type. Think longer tails, more of the "razor back", etc. When they cross-breed with feral pigs, they get different colored spots.

You can definitely try the dig a hole method. As long as the sides are steep enough and high enough so the hogs can't jump out or climb out. There are TONS of websites with trap designs, etc.

For bait, mix corn and water in a drum, cover it, and leave it in the sun for a couple of weeks. Your nose will tell you when it's ready (stuff stinks like hell).

TreednNC 11-04-2008 12:11 PM

a pig is a pig...it's about like hunting brown bears or kodiaks bears......or Eastern turkeys versus Rio Grandes

Booney160 11-04-2008 04:03 PM

That's what I figured, a pig is a pig. I'm looking forward to hunting them for the first time.

Thanks

ericmcgehee 11-04-2008 04:36 PM

Not from what I have heard. My wife just bought me a russian boar hunt for the 15th of this month. I called the owner of the ranch, and he said to bring a 7mm min. I wanted to try the bow, but he said he would not dare. He said the record was shot on his ranch and it weighed 973lbs. That is no normal pig.

907Alaska 11-06-2008 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ericmcgehee

Not from what I have heard. My wife just bought me a russian boar hunt for the 15th of this month. I called the owner of the ranch, and he said to bring a 7mm min. I wanted to try the bow, but he said he would not dare. He said the record was shot on his ranch and it weighed 973lbs. That is no normal pig.
I have been hunting pigs here in California since 1992, went bear hunting, and had a pig tag, and wound up taking a pig instead with a bow...and since then I have been addicted to pig hunting...weapon of choice is bow or crossbow mostly, I have actually only used a gun once. .444

scooterdo75 11-07-2008 11:06 AM

You can kill a russian boar with a bow, but you should be shooting alot of Kenetic energy to get past the plate that protects the vitals, and it will probably take more than one arrow.

Finhunter 12-05-2008 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Booney160

I have an opportunity to hunt some russian boars which have gotten out of a fenced in game reserve and are tearing up the surrounding property. Are russian boars the same pigs that run wild in the south? I don't know much about the animal, I read on here that in the south digging a hole and baiting with a concoction of corn attracts pigs, also spot of stalk will always work. I'd like to kill as many of the pigs as possible since they shouldn't be in the wild up here. Any adviceand ideas to eradicate the animals? Will any predator calls work? Currently I plan to wait until snow, then go in and bait and stalk the animals in the snow.

Thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar

I think that the calls dont work. Try to shoot them from their feeding area at night when there is enough moonlight, or is that possible/legal over there?

burniegoeasily 12-05-2008 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: scooterdo75

You can kill a russian boar with a bow, but you should be shooting alot of Kenetic energy to get past the plate that protects the vitals, and it will probably take more than one arrow.
Not neccessarily. Just have good foc. I shot hogs all year long with longbows and recurves. I just make sure to have good foc and lots of head weight. Ive shot 300+ lb hogs with a slow longbow with no problem. Actually get quite a few pass throughs. Never have had to take a second shot. Hogs are not magical creatures and they will die real easy with an arrow. Actually, that is all I hunt hogs with are bows.

I do agree with the shield. Stay out of the shield and try to take quarter away shots. My money shot on big scared up hogs is to slip the arrow just behind the plat and into both lungs.

All these guys were shot with longbows or recurves this last year.

Sasha_from_RF 12-05-2008 10:58 AM

Greetings to all. I from Russia. I live in Moscow and often I hunt on wild boars. Yes to shoot it is possible at night.
The forage grain or at edge of the field sowed by oats is usually used. Judging by a photo of a pig do not differ.
They everywhere the identical. I hunted on them in Turkey and Croatia. They same. A photo from Turkey.
Our hunters use night sights. It is possible certainly very good optics of type Zeiss 6-24x74 T* Victory Diavari

If there will be a snow and them it will be visible.
There is a way of hunting by a round-up. But it not individual hunting.
Decoys in Russia are forbidden, mufflers of a sound also are forbidden.
It is possible to use only a gun or a rifle. Calibres are not limited.
For the weapon the licence is required to foreigners. Movings without the licence are forbidden.
If there will be still questions will answer with pleasure.