Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Darn Pigs

Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Darn Pigs

We've had it. Pigs are taking over deer camp. Couple of questions.... Can you bait pigs? If so, with what... they seem to like the corn. Feeder spins and the vacuums come out! Can a higher volume of pigs run your deer out? I almost got to stick one this weekend. Nice boar too. First time I have ever been growled at. is that normal? I'm a pig newbie. Any input would be great! Thank you.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Darn Pigs

You have feders so baiting is legal I would assume. Build a LARGE trap and go to town on them. Do not expect to put a dent in any hog population. Look at their reproductive rates, you are fighting a losing battle. look on the internet for hog trap designs.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to go there out of deer season and declare war on the hogs, take as many buddies as you can with rifles and shoot the crap out of them, will you kill them all? hardly likely but they will move on to more friendly surroundings.

Yes they will run the deer off.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Darn right they will run the deer off, and no, you cant kill them fast enough. They breed like rabbits. Two years ago, after getting my buck, I emptied 2 boxes of 270 win from one stand in the course of 1 hour just trying to thin out the pig population! When i went out the next morning, there were just as many pigs as before, just smaller ones. If you let them go for too long, you will get into the same situation we did and have a population of pigs that will out-breed the rate at which you kill them and there will be nothing you can do about it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Shoot... this is not what I wanted to hear. We were joking in camp but may have to make it a practice. You have to fill a camp PIG tag before you can harvest a deer. So... i guess there is no BEST time to hunt them during the year..? Just any time? We may have organize a big pig hunt and do what is suggested and blast the pig $#!t out of them.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm on a new camp in east Tx that is full of pigs. I can have guests so I'll have some buddys come out and help me knock them down. My favorite time of year is after deer season while the weather is still cool. Summertime is too hot.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM

I been hearing this a lot here in East Texas.A friend went out and checked his camera over the weekend on his lease here in the Texarkana, Tx area. 70 pics taken and only 4 deer in the whole bunch ... The rest where hogs (had one that had to be 300 to 400 lbs..."Monster"). Hogs will run off the deer in a bad way unfortunately. I also heardthey will eat the young deer as well even worsening the situation. Good luck with your hog issue, and plan on adding some bacon to the fridge....lol
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have to put hog panels around all our feed sites to keep the pigs from running all the deer off the feed site's.....In the off season we do a lot of trapping when we are up there....It helps some but what really helps the most is getting out there in early bow season and smoking as many as you can, they tend to not come around in the daylight anymore and then after season we will start the trapping again.....Like everyone else said you won't get rid of them but they can be controlled if you put the time and effort in....
As for a bait, I have used hog wild in the past mixed with some corn and water (allow it time to dry in the sun) and it hasworked pretty good.....
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen hogs run deer off feed plots and wheat fields. The state of OK has yet to get serious about wild hogs: They will not let you shoot them at night with the aid of a light. At one game management site the OK game commission shot hogs from helos last year: But you can't hunt hogs there with a center fire rifle.

Because of the bumper crop of acorns and pecansin 2007there are several timesas many hogs as there were this time last year. Thankfully, there is a pretty good population of fawns also; but that will not last long with the hogs rooting upthe game food.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 PM

where are you at what state

Quick Reply: Darn Pigs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.