HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   attracting hogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/267170-attracting-hogs.html)

gregrn43 10-08-2008 10:39 PM

attracting hogs

I have a question for you experienced hog hunters. On the property next to ours them boys have pictures of several hogs eating out of there feeders and food plots.No sign on ourplace. I have put out soured soy bean and rice trying to draw some to our property with no luck. Anyone out there have any other ideas to draw a porker in?

Rebel Hog 10-08-2008 11:52 PM

RE: attracting hogs

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

I have a question for you experienced hog hunters. On the property next to ours them boys have pictures of several hogs eating out of there feeders and food plots. No sign on our place. I have put out soured soy bean and rice trying to draw some to our property with no luck. Anyone out there have any other ideas to draw a porker in?
Strawberry Cool-Aid!

gregrn43 10-09-2008 02:13 AM

hahahahaha...Does that really work?

Rebel Hog 10-09-2008 02:51 AM

hahahahaha...Does that really work?
Wait till some of these Texicans will tell you about it...;)

gregrn43 10-09-2008 03:30 AM

Well that ought to be some cheap bait lol.. Exactly how do you put it out?

drs1961 10-09-2008 07:37 AM

Hog Wild by Evolved Habitats mixed with corn or Buck Jam and water mix poured over corn. Dig a hole with post hole diggers as deep as you can and watch the crater form as they return to get to the bottom. We've had them go five feet deep after that stuff. The Hog Wild smells like berrys so I imagine that's why the strawberry kool-aid works.

burniegoeasily 10-09-2008 07:59 AM

Strawberry jello. Dig a hole with post hole diggers as deep as you can, pour in some corn, add a pack of jello powder (dont make the jello), top of the corn, and add another pack of jello. Once they find it, they will root at it for days to weeks.

gregrn43 10-09-2008 06:07 PM

Thanks fellers im gonna give that a try.

The Rev 10-09-2008 06:25 PM

I'll go for the Stawberry Jello and corn too, it's stronger than cool aid... Now if you want a guaranteed way, take you a five gallon bucket fill it half way with milo then fill it with water, let stand for a about three weeks in the hot sun... Get down wind when you open it and dig a hole like you do the jello and corn. They will come from Texas to get at it.
I will guarantee that with Rebel Hogs life, or Kanga, or Txjorneyman, rloving, NorthTexas, and last but not least Burnie.:D:D:D

Rebel Hog 10-09-2008 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I'll go for the Strawberry Jello and corn too, it's stronger than cool aid... Now if you want a guaranteed way, take you a five gallon bucket fill it half way with milo then fill it with water, let stand for a about three weeks in the hot sun... Get down wind when you open it and dig a hole like you do the jello and corn. They will come from Texas to get at it.
I will guarantee that with Rebel Hogs life, or Kanga, or Txjorneyman, roving, North Texas, and last but not least Burnie.:D:D:D
Now that's a recipe!:)................You're a Connoisseur Rev!:D

Snook384 10-10-2008 08:26 AM

My fav.

5 gallon bucket
10 pounds of sugar
1 packet yeast
corn

fill bucket 2/3 rds' full of corn and add sugar and yeast. pour warm water over the mix till covered by a few inches of water. let sit for a week. I swear they will chase down the truck as you drive to your hunting spot. One thing though the syrup water is STICKEY. Try not to spill it in your truck.

gregrn43 10-10-2008 09:15 PM

yea im gonna give that a try and see how it works.. Are neighbors have only 80 acres and we have 550. I really cant understand why we dont see any sign of them. I shot 2 on us 3 years ago and have not seen any sign of them since then.

Rebel Hog 10-11-2008 05:06 AM

yea im gonna give that a try and see how it works.. Are neighbors have only 80 acres and we have 550. I really cant understand why we dont see any sign of them. I shot 2 on us 3 years ago and have not seen any sign of them since then.
There has to be lots to eat and plenty of water holes to wallow in....

White Falcon 10-11-2008 03:53 PM

Corn, Corn, Corn, and more Corn!!!! I feed year round!! Late season when all is brown, Alfalfa baleand Corn!!

TedH71 10-22-2008 08:57 PM

Get plastic buckets and fill up with corn. Buy the cheapest beer you can afford. Pour it in and wait a week or two. Word of warning..the smell will make you gag....it's soured corn but it is hog manna to them. Dig a hole in the ground and pour it in. Wait overnight. Repeat for several days....guaranteed to see hogs soon after but remember coons like corn too.

xkmorris 10-23-2008 04:44 AM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Strawberry jello. Dig a hole with post hole diggers as deep as you can, pour in some corn, add a pack of jello powder (dont make the jello), top of the corn, and add another pack of jello. Once they find it, they will root at it for days to weeks.
I did this with fermented corn and strawberry jello and after 2 days this is what I got.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=IM000030.flv

Flboarhunter 10-23-2008 09:08 AM

We always try to make it as nasty as possible!!

5 gallon bucket filled with corn, a weeks worth of leftovers, milk, can or two of beer, and leave in the sun for a week or two.(any leftover seafood reallydrives them nuts)! we used to throw in a couple sand fleas in the mix when I lived by the coast!

700Rem 10-27-2008 11:23 PM

This is an easy one.Get two pickle buckets,fill both of them up with deer corn,add two gallons of milk to each one,let sit for three weeks with the lid on.Make sure you dont put this stuff next to any farmers Hayfield cuz your gonna have hogs galore.

Texas Hunter 10-28-2008 06:16 AM

I use corn mixed with grape kool-aid, works for me.

TreednNC 10-28-2008 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Snook384

My fav.

5 gallon bucket
10 pounds of sugar
1 packet yeast
corn

fill bucket 2/3 rds' full of corn and add sugar and yeast. pour warm water over the mix till covered by a few inches of water. let sit for a week. I swear they will chase down the truck as you drive to your hunting spot. One thing though the syrup water is STICKEY. Try not to spill it in your truck.
I like it like this too. Run it through some copper tubing white it's hot,and into a quart jar. Later add some apples or peaches, maybe even raspberries. Sure keeps ya warm on a cold night.:)

Alabama Yankee 11-16-2008 11:44 AM

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?

The Rev 11-16-2008 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Alabama Yankee

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?
The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.

bornagainhunter 11-17-2008 01:32 PM

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.

Alabama Yankee 11-17-2008 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bornagainhunter

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.
I'd love to be able to do that, but in AL it's illegal to bait.

RLoving1 11-17-2008 06:52 PM

The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.
Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.

The Rev 11-17-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.

Here he is getting the cover scent. He told his brother (in the back of the Bull) if you get some denim you've gone too far.:DI did work too, he's lying!:D

RLoving1 11-17-2008 08:02 PM

Them Depends you wear are hog repelant...same ones he wore a week and half ago![:'(]

jeremyjms06 11-19-2008 10:43 PM

Alabama Yankee what part of bama are you in?

Alabama Yankee 11-20-2008 05:29 AM

East/Central...we'll be hunting Coosa WMA.

jeremyjms06 11-20-2008 10:08 PM

oh ok gotcha... i'm in phenix city and do alot of hunting in tuskeegee

bmrplatinum 02-10-2012 09:28 PM

I've heard of the corn and diesel fuel too. This old guy would dig a hole with a post hole digger then fill it with corn and diesel fuel. He said the diesel kept any other animals from eating it. Apparently, the hogs didn't care!

falcon 02-11-2012 07:48 AM

The idea of eating a hog that has ingested diesel does not appeal to me.

Topgun 3006 02-11-2012 10:23 AM

It's sort of like the thing that most guys like where the old saying goes that once you get by the smell you've got it licked, LOL!!!

smokepole70 02-11-2012 11:08 AM

The ones that posted about digging some kind of hole are absolutely on the right track with bait because hogs have a tendency to eat the bait up too fast above ground and they will leave the baitsite to go somewhere else afterwards. Jello mix, beer mixed with corn works extremely well. My recipe passed down from my elders is get you a drum or bucket with a lid. Fill it up with dry corn and in the meantime go back mix you up one or two quarts of mollassas mixed with hot water. I use only one or two tablespoons in the syrup/water mixture. Pour it over the corn, set it in the sunlight with the lid shut for 2-3 days shaking it around abit. Cover your nose and it will not intoxicate you too badly haha.

falcon 02-11-2012 06:35 PM

Set up a feeder: Set it to run about 30 minutes before sunset. This is to get the hogs on your clock. They will learn the late hog gets no corn and they may come in before dark.

Or: Make a big pig toy, fill it with corn and stake it down. The hogs will roll the toy around and toss it in the air. Do not drill too many hogs in the pig toy. You need two or three 1/2" holes, that's all.

This pig toy is made from 6" thick wall PVC pipe. One end cap is permanently attached: The other one can be knocked off with a hammer for filling with corn.

You can also make a giant pig toy using a plastic drum. Drill two or three 1/2" holes in it, put in a sack of corn, set the drum on end and toss some corn on the ground around it so the hogs get the picture. If the hogs have been there, the drum will be up ended and rolled away.

Wilcam47 11-25-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3910951)
Set up a feeder: Set it to run about 30 minutes before sunset. This is to get the hogs on your clock. They will learn the late hog gets no corn and they may come in before dark.

Or: Make a big pig toy, fill it with corn and stake it down. The hogs will roll the toy around and toss it in the air. Do not drill too many hogs in the pig toy. You need two or three 1/2" holes, that's all.

This pig toy is made from 6" thick wall PVC pipe. One end cap is permanently attached: The other one can be knocked off with a hammer for filling with corn.

You can also make a giant pig toy using a plastic drum. Drill two or three 1/2" holes in it, put in a sack of corn, set the drum on end and toss some corn on the ground around it so the hogs get the picture. If the hogs have been there, the drum will be up ended and rolled away.

revive thread...do you have a pic?