Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

attracting hogs

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Spike

I've heard of the corn and diesel fuel too. This old guy would dig a hole with a post hole digger then fill it with corn and diesel fuel. He said the diesel kept any other animals from eating it. Apparently, the hogs didn't care!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

The idea of eating a hog that has ingested diesel does not appeal to me.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's sort of like the thing that most guys like where the old saying goes that once you get by the smell you've got it licked, LOL!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Spike

The ones that posted about digging some kind of hole are absolutely on the right track with bait because hogs have a tendency to eat the bait up too fast above ground and they will leave the baitsite to go somewhere else afterwards. Jello mix, beer mixed with corn works extremely well. My recipe passed down from my elders is get you a drum or bucket with a lid. Fill it up with dry corn and in the meantime go back mix you up one or two quarts of mollassas mixed with hot water. I use only one or two tablespoons in the syrup/water mixture. Pour it over the corn, set it in the sunlight with the lid shut for 2-3 days shaking it around abit. Cover your nose and it will not intoxicate you too badly haha.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Set up a feeder: Set it to run about 30 minutes before sunset. This is to get the hogs on your clock. They will learn the late hog gets no corn and they may come in before dark.

Or: Make a big pig toy, fill it with corn and stake it down. The hogs will roll the toy around and toss it in the air. Do not drill too many hogs in the pig toy. You need two or three 1/2" holes, that's all.

This pig toy is made from 6" thick wall PVC pipe. One end cap is permanently attached: The other one can be knocked off with a hammer for filling with corn.

You can also make a giant pig toy using a plastic drum. Drill two or three 1/2" holes in it, put in a sack of corn, set the drum on end and toss some corn on the ground around it so the hogs get the picture. If the hogs have been there, the drum will be up ended and rolled away.

Last edited by falcon; 02-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Set up a feeder: Set it to run about 30 minutes before sunset. This is to get the hogs on your clock. They will learn the late hog gets no corn and they may come in before dark.

Or: Make a big pig toy, fill it with corn and stake it down. The hogs will roll the toy around and toss it in the air. Do not drill too many hogs in the pig toy. You need two or three 1/2" holes, that's all.

This pig toy is made from 6" thick wall PVC pipe. One end cap is permanently attached: The other one can be knocked off with a hammer for filling with corn.

You can also make a giant pig toy using a plastic drum. Drill two or three 1/2" holes in it, put in a sack of corn, set the drum on end and toss some corn on the ground around it so the hogs get the picture. If the hogs have been there, the drum will be up ended and rolled away.

revive thread...do you have a pic?