Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

attracting hogs

Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Default RE: attracting hogs

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Alabama Yankee

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?
The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:32 PM

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bornagainhunter

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.
I'd love to be able to do that, but in AL it's illegal to bait.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.
Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.

Here he is getting the cover scent. He told his brother (in the back of the Bull) if you get some denim you've gone too far.I did work too, he's lying!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Them Depends you wear are hog repelant...same ones he wore a week and half ago![:'(]
Old 11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Alabama Yankee what part of bama are you in?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 AM

East/Central...we'll be hunting Coosa WMA.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

oh ok gotcha... i'm in phenix city and do alot of hunting in tuskeegee

Quick Reply: attracting hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.