HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   attracting hogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/267170-attracting-hogs.html)

Alabama Yankee 11-16-2008 11:44 AM

RE: attracting hogs

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?

The Rev 11-16-2008 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Alabama Yankee

Ok...I'm going to get my first chance at a hog this coming week. Here in AL we aren't allowed to bait. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can use as a good cover scent that will get the hogs in close enough for a bow shot?
The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.

bornagainhunter 11-17-2008 01:32 PM

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.

Alabama Yankee 11-17-2008 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bornagainhunter

I was told that guys pour diesel fuel on corn and hogs go nuts over it.
I'd love to be able to do that, but in AL it's illegal to bait.

RLoving1 11-17-2008 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

The best cover scent is playing the wind right. I hunt hogs like I do deer, same approach. They can't see squat, but they have a better sense of smell than deer. Stay down wind, and be smart.
Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.

The Rev 11-17-2008 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Too bad we didn't have hogs near us last weekend! I had the best cover scent! It was a mixture of my families on design,cow manure,blood,sweat,urine,ivomex,antibiotic,and none of it was mine,working cows you get that and alot of everything else! The Rev was wearing a white shirt spectating!Actually those smells are pretty natural to the deer and hogs so no human scent was present on me that evening.

Here he is getting the cover scent. He told his brother (in the back of the Bull) if you get some denim you've gone too far.:DI did work too, he's lying!:D

RLoving1 11-17-2008 08:02 PM

Them Depends you wear are hog repelant...same ones he wore a week and half ago![:'(]

jeremyjms06 11-19-2008 10:43 PM

Alabama Yankee what part of bama are you in?

Alabama Yankee 11-20-2008 05:29 AM

East/Central...we'll be hunting Coosa WMA.

jeremyjms06 11-20-2008 10:08 PM

oh ok gotcha... i'm in phenix city and do alot of hunting in tuskeegee