HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Some rookie questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/260122-some-rookie-questions.html)

neoinarien 08-27-2008 11:38 PM

Some rookie questions

Hello all,

I'm up here in Wisconsin and am in the early stages of planning my first hog hunt (they are spreading like nuts up here) and wanted to run some ideas by you guys.

I have a handful of rifles I'm choosing from, what do you guys think?

Marlin 336 lever in 35 remington
Marlin 336 lever in 30/30
Garand in 30.06
m1903 in 30.06

I figure the garand may be the most appropriate (semi-auto).

Is it common to carry sidearms? I've been on and off this forum for a few years now, and it really seems like there is a risk that they things will come at you. I'm figuring a 9mm is too light. Suppose a 45acp would do the job?

Anything odd for hog I should know that's different than deer hunting otherwise?

joliver 08-28-2008 06:19 AM

RE: Some rookie questions

Any of the firearms you mentioned will work, but I'm partial to the 30/06 caliber. Pigs have good noses and ears so make sure you factor in the wind while hunting. I don't know what the laws are up there, but I enjoy hunting them in Texas under a full moon in open areas. Once they've been hunted a while, the big boys go nocturnal. Pistols are great, but I would make sureyou can climb a tree if needed. They will come after you!

Snook384 08-28-2008 07:36 AM

Just remember that hogs are bullet proof. They dont call them the poor mans rabid deranged psychotic killer grizzley for nothing. I have even heard from a person who knew someones uncle that talked to a kid that saw a story of a hog chasing someone down and eating them. There are even reports of a new Icelandic hog that preys on Baluga whales when they get near the iceflows. I would not hunt them with anything less than a 375 H&H or maybe a 416 to 500 caliber.

Seriously every gun you list will kill them dead as doornails. As for different than deer they have MORE sensitive noses than deer which is really saying something and they are pretty damn smart.

One other thing, forget about shooting the big ones unless you want photo's. The big ones are pretty gamey but a nice 30 to 80 pound porker is fantastic eats.

Rebel Hog 08-28-2008 08:00 AM

From the ones you have listed I would choose the,

Marlin 336 .30-30 with this ammo

coca_colaguy23 08-28-2008 09:33 AM

I had the Chance to do a Russian Boar hunt last Sept. with my dad his treat . We took my 375 H&H mag , my 8mm. Mauser with some sweet handloads I built , His .243 win , and my Ruger 44 Mag. pistol for a "backup" . We found a "group" of 6 hogs and took two I shot mine with my 8mm ( very close to a 30-06 balisticly when handloaded) and he took his with his .243 , both Hogs went down we were at 100 yards. his weighed between 260 - 300 lbs. Now for the beware part , these animals DID NOT RUN when shot at , they stood their ground while we approached within 50 yards then they moved off so be careful .

JakeinTX 08-28-2008 10:12 AM

My last couple of hogs were taken with a Savage 30-06. I am going to use my Winchester 30-30 with open sights here in a few weeks. Why...because it is fun to shoot:D Any of those guns will do fine. If you want to test your aiming skills a .243 would be fun. A 12 GA would work great as well. I have found that any time they wind you they are GONE!

Enjoy
Jake

Rebel Hog 08-28-2008 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: JakeinTX

My last couple of hogs were taken with a Savage 30-06. I am going to use my Winchester 30-30 with open sights here in a few weeks. Why...because it is fun to shoot:D Any of those guns will do fine. If you want to test your aiming skills a .243 would be fun. A 12 GA would work great as well. I have found that any time they wind you they are GONE!

Enjoy
Jake

10-4, Good Buddy!:)

bigboar23 08-28-2008 04:24 PM

7mm-08 Supposedly a youth round. He never took another step. Shot placement as always will be key. They're bullet proof unless you shoot them in the neck right behind the ear. The bullet proofness goes away real quick after that. They don't like to bleed, they don't like die, they don't like to hang out where you can see them fall. Shoot'em in the neck and save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache. They can take almost anything you throw at them from the shoulder back. Forward of the shoulder, they will not go far, if at all.

Hurricanespg 08-28-2008 06:25 PM

I would imagine any of the calibers you listed would be fine. I have killed all of mine with a 12ga, 30-06, .243, or a bow. Each one did the trick.

neoinarien 08-28-2008 10:09 PM

What do you guys think about sidearms? Useful? Not? I assume 9mm is too weak... 45acp? Or do you need to step it up more?