HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hunting Alligators (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/256035-hunting-alligators.html)

gsandlin 08-04-2008 04:26 PM

Hunting Alligators

Ilive in South Carolina and have been selected forthe state'sfirst public alligator hunt.I know nothing about hunting gaters, if anyone has any advice or tactices they can give meI would be grateful.

n.florida hunter 08-04-2008 06:45 PM

RE: Hunting Alligators

I work within minutes of the suwannee river here in Florida wher there is a bunch of gator hunting going on. Some of the guys that work for me get into it more than any other type of hunting. If you can hunt them at night be very cautious with the amount of vibration that you make in the water. If you can shoot them with a rifle be cautious of the shot placement!!!!!1 THey have very small brains and you can wound one easily. Never try and shoot one looking straight at you. More times than not the bullet will travel parallel with the skull and deflect. Try and shoot them right behind the eye. There is a scale like flap covering the ear opening. It will be a definite kill shoot. If you are going to use a harpoon and need to buy or build one you can easily make one by using nylon string and 3/8" extensions. If you have access to a welding machine take and weld 1 of the extensions to your gig head then weld the other to the shaft or harpoon. Weld a washer or nut to the extension on the spear head so that you can tie of the nylon string. When you gig the gator the head will come off the harpoon and you have the tag line still attached to the spear. If the laws are the same as down here you can use a bang stick once you get him up to the boat or bank and thump him right behind the eyes. I hope this was some help good luck!

Test81 08-05-2008 01:17 PM

I am also in need to some information on gator hunting... Even any info on guided gator hunts in Fl would be appreciated.

bdhuntin 08-06-2008 12:34 PM

hey guys, im not sure about the regs in sc, but ive been guiding in central florida for a few years and i would be glad to share any info with you. feel free to e-mail me and i can set you up.
brian
[email protected]

Capt. Billy 08-09-2008 03:44 PM

Good to seeSC is opening a gator season. I have land there and its full of them. I own and operate a outfitting service both here in Florida and in Kansas. My Florida service is gator hunts and spring turkey hunts. I've been in business for along time and can give you some real insight into get on trpohy gators and having an enjoyable hunt. Call or email me anytime you'd like to talk.

Billy
www.DSOoutdoors.com
352-257-6999

bigboar23 08-20-2008 12:31 AM

Feel free to get a hold of me as well. We're running public hunts from now till Nov. 1st. Would be ahppy to give you any additional advice. You can email me through my site or PM me on here.

catchemrob 08-20-2008 06:42 PM

WOW!:eek: