HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Pick a 7mm Rem Mag Round for Hogs. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/253239-pick-7mm-rem-mag-round-hogs.html)

VinRR 07-17-2008 10:41 AM

Pick a 7mm Rem Mag Round for Hogs.

Out of these rounds, which one would you chose to shoot wild Florida nuisance hogs? Apparently there have been some hogs shot on the ranch that weighed around 300lbs. Shots will be within 100/200 yards with a Remingtong 700 7mm Rem Mag. Don't worry about cost. What will do the best job at dropping them in their tracks? I am going to use a bow for anything within 40 yards.

Winchester Supreme BST 140gr
Remington Core Lokt 150gr
Hornady SST Heavy Magnum 139gr
Hornady Interbond 139gr
Hornady Interbond 154gr

Rebel Hog 07-17-2008 02:53 PM

RE: Pick a 7mm Rem Mag Round for Hogs.

ORIGINAL: VinRR

Out of these rounds, which one would you chose to shoot wild Florida nuisance hogs? Apparently there have been some hogs shot on the ranch that weighed around 300lbs. Shots will be within 100/200 yards with a Remingtong 700 7mm Rem Mag. Don't worry about cost. What will do the best job at dropping them in their tracks? I am going to use a bow for anything within 40 yards.

Winchester Supreme BST 140gr
Remington Core Lokt 150gr
Hornady SST Heavy Magnum 139gr
Hornady Interbond 139gr
Hornady Interbond 154gr
From those choices:..............Winchester Supreme BST 140gr

RooterShooter 07-17-2008 03:33 PM

I vote for the Hornady Interbond 154gr. or Corelokt's. I think the additional penetration on those large shields will be helpful.

I have a bunch of barnes TSX 7RM loaded, if you need some help :)

Snook384 07-17-2008 07:24 PM

uhhhhhh......any of them.

retrieverman 07-17-2008 08:37 PM

ANY of the ammo that you have on the list will do just fine for hogs. There is WAY too much emphasis placed on what caliber and ammo is used on hogs. My uncle raises hogs and kills 400-500 pounders with a 22 lr.

There needs to be a "sticky" on this forum stating that WHATEVER you hunt deer with is just fine for hogs. No bazookas required.

The Rev 07-17-2008 09:33 PM

I vote for the Bow...:D

VinRR 07-18-2008 07:25 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I knew that any round will work. I just wanted to know which one will do it more effectively.

zrexpilot 07-20-2008 05:04 PM

With high velocity, bullets tend to under penetrate. We shot a few hogs with a 300. mag using 150 gr core locks, we never got an exit.
I would pick something heavier.
while I am positive they will kill, I think those would be better for deer.

broncobilly 07-21-2008 10:42 PM

There is a lot of difference between your typical domestic hog and a typical wild hog, just because you can safely and effectively kill the one with a 22 lr does not mean it would be a good idea to make a practice of tyring to kill the other with it. Under the right circumstance you can also kill a griz with a 22 lr, are you suggesting that it would be wise to hunt them with a 22 lr. I strongly disagree with retrieverman when he says that whatever you use for deer is just fine for hogs, although I do agree with him that you don't need a bazooka:).

A medium weight for caliber, medium tough bullet construction in just about any caliber above .243 will work for deer, but, until you get up towards the .30 calibers, they are less than optimal for hogs.

Yes, medium weight for caliber bulletsin 7mm will work on hogs, but the question was "What will work best".

In the 7mm, I would use either a barnes tsx, remington core-lokt, or nosler partition, in the heaviest weight for caliber bullet I could find.

Bill

907Alaska 07-27-2008 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ANY of the ammo that you have on the list will do just fine for hogs. There is WAY too much emphasis placed on what caliber and ammo is used on hogs. My uncle raises hogs and kills 400-500 pounders with a 22 lr.

There needs to be a "sticky" on this forum stating that WHATEVER you hunt deer with is just fine for hogs. No bazookas required.
I agree 100%....If they can be shot with air rifles, any 7mm will do.