Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

ballistic tip bullets

Old 06-29-2008, 04:56 AM

Default ballistic tip bullets

Has anyone ever used ballistic tip bullets to harvest a hog? How efficent was the kill? Did the bullet have good penetration and expansionor did it blow up on the shoulder plate of the hog. I'm considering loading up some 358 cal, 225gr Noslers to around 2700fps. Thought this might do the job.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ballistic tip bullets

ORIGINAL: Bird hunters

Has anyone ever used ballistic tip bullets to harvest a hog? How efficient was the kill? Did the bullet have good penetration and expansionor did it blow up on the shoulder plate of the hog. I'm considering loading up some 358 cal, 225gr Noslers to around 2700fps. Thought this might do the job.
Partner, most of us either kill them with a sharp stick at 30-40 yds, withcalibers from .17HMRto .30-30,with a side arm at 3-4 ft or at the throat with a knife when using dogs. Most on here are hog hunters not hog shooters at long range......
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 PM

Partner, most of us either kill them with a sharp stick at 30-40 yds, with calibers from .17HMR to .30-30, with a side arm at 3-4 ft or at the throat with a knife when using dogs . Most on here are hog hunters not hog shooters at long range......

Do you know anyone in South Louisiana who goes after them with dogs and knife? I have been trying to hook up with someone who does this for a long time. If you can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 AM

I shot one hog with a .308 using a 150 gr Winchester Ballistic tip round at 75 yards. It went in one side of the chest breaking two ribs and exited the other side taking out two or three ribs. The hog ran 30 yards and piled up. After gutting him and seeing the damage(little) it did, i switched back to cheap old Federal 150gr soft points, which at the time were $11 a box. I shot 7 more hogs that year using the soft points and never had one run more than 15-20 yards. I found that the ear hole shot does wonders and drops them down to do the dirt dance on the spot.

Would i recommend Ballistic tips - No - why pay that much for bullets.Save your self some cash.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

I have always shot nothing but ballistic tips-never lost any animal,almost all have dropped straight to the ground.
But now I have switched to the Accubond.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

dead is dead, why try to improve on something that has worked for you? it's more important on how well your rifle shoots different bullets than the extra couple of yards it ran after the shot.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Dead is dead.I switched due to penetration.Also because the 140 gr accubond has the same BC as the 150 gr.I reload so its easy for me to build them the way I like them.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

According to some ballistic tips "blow up" at high velocity and should only bu used on thins skin game, such as pronghorn and whitetail. You should have no problems withthat heavy bullet.

That said I personally use the ballistic tips out of my 308 in 150 grain and as a rule dont recover the bullet.Theyusuallypass right through shoulders and all. Taken deer and pigs. I was hunting with my brother in law when he took a 150lb sow at 455 yards using his 270 wsm with 140 grain ballistic tips. Passed through both shoulders, dropped on the spot. Range verified by the farmer who counted irrigation pipe segments between the shot and the pig......
Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Fork Horn

I've used nosler BST 150 grains on smaller hogs (100-120lbs) without any problems. For larger hogs I use hornady's Interbond 150 grains. The BST is a good bullet but not for 200lbs or even biggerhogs.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Dixie Hog said.They are hogs, not rhinos. I've shot hogs with .22 rimfirethrough .30-06.Theydie quickly when hit right: If not hit right youwill likely never see them again.Sawa big boar run off and not be recoveredafter a guy with a .300magnum shot it twice with someones 180 grain "premium" bullet.

The vast majority ofmy hogsare killed with a cheap old CVA .50 muzzleloader and .44 cal. 240 grain Hornady XTP bullets.Had one hog go over 60 yards. That hog wasgutshot at a distance of 120 yards withmy muzzleloader.Found it standing on top the hill one quarter mile away. It got down the backside of the hill about 75 yards before I was able to get a shot and kill it. No bulletwill turn a gut shot into a bang flop every time.

Quick Reply: ballistic tip bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.