Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 CALIBER QUANDRY......HELP! >

CALIBER QUANDRY......HELP!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

CALIBER QUANDRY......HELP!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Default RE: CALIBER QUANDRY......HELP!

I have shot both caliber and own both caliber. But for me I would prefer 7mm rem mag. it truely has the punch and nock down power that you need for all hunting in north america. If I was in that scenario that you have mention I would prefer to have my 7mm rem mag than my 30-06 because if that hog decide to charge the 7mm rem mag with a not so perfect shot placement would definently take that hog down. I understand that most people would disagree with my thought but when a hog charges at you, you really don't have the time to make a good shot. If you know that you have 400lb plus hogs in the area you hunt the 7mm rem mag is never a bad choice of weapon but it is a bit over kill on deer.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Spike

Howdy Fellows,

Stick to the tried and true 30/06, unless you have a very good reason to move to one of the 300 magnums. I recommend Remington's Safari Grade ammo with the Swift A-Frame, or the Winchester Failsafes. The Swift has all the gumption you need for a dead-right-now hog.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
Boar Hunting Calibers

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Deleted
Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM

being a lefty myself i can tell you that either one (270 or 06) will get the job done. I have a 30-06 Left handed browning a-bolt and its on the money and puts them down if they are hit in the right spot. I just ordered (again leftys have to do it differently) a Tikka 270 for the longer distance hunts in the daytime, but i havent shot or hunted with a 270 since going after boar. Bottom line: if i had to leave the house with one, it would be the 30-06.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:55 PM

You do not have to have a great big gun to kill a great big hog I have seen 200+lb hogs quickly taken down with a trusty old 22-250. As others have said shot placement is key.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Spike

Hello All!

The 22-250, and all the other high steppers can certainly put a hog down given proper shot placement. But as is usually the case, field conditions may prevent one from putting the pill where it belongs, namely, in the ear and through the brain.

So just to clarify, the 22 centerfires can be used, albeit under limited conditions. There are new projectiles that have come out recently that have thicker jackets, more weight retention, and promise better performance on bigger game, but the implication is they are designed with deer in mind. Hog is a whole 'nother proposition.

Having said all that, I have killed more hogs with a 22 rimfire than everything else combined. And just in case anyone's wondering, I have never lost a head of game to date. I am very careful of how I shoot and when I pull the trigger.

If y'all are interested I would appreciate if you took a look at an article I wrote some time ago on caliber choice for hog hunting: Boar Hunting Calibers. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

Old 03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great write up, Al.
I have to say the 30-06 is my go to rifle. From Alaska to Florida, I've takenmany kinds of game, to me it's a never fail caliber, if I do my job.
For hogs here in Florida, I prefer a 180 gr, by ... whoever. I like the Remington Corelokt, but I'm not choosy. As long as I domy job and assure the shot is whereI want it , the '06 will darn sure do it's job.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I'm trying to decide between the .270, .30-06, 7mm. Rem. Mag., and MAYBE the .300 Win. Mag.
Out of those you have listed I would go for the trusty old 270
You hunt witha stick and string! Are you even allowed to have a firearm Russ?But correct a 270 will work well as something larger just shoot it well and problem solved!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Out of the Calibers listed I would suggest the .270. Another great caliber that you didn't list that can be had in factory chamberings is the .280 Rem. Compareable to the .270 but with better bullet selection being that it shoots the 7mm bullets. You can get the great factory loaded Barnes bullets that don't come apart even while hitting heavy bone.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I believe I saw where Remington was coming out with a lefty in 7mm-08 this year. That will be an excellent combo gun with less recoil than the venerable 30/06 if that's a concern.With 140 grn. partitionsthat's plenty of medicene for critters up to elk size. On the risk of starting a backlash I'll have to say that we have had more big boarsstop .270s in the shoulder shield and walk away than any other caliber. Maybe the bullet is just a little to fast at generally very close range to do what it needs to do, especially ballistic tips, which appear to be the favorite of most .270 fans. Maybe it's just because it's the most popular caliber we get and thepercentages just lean towards it. Either way, big boars with a heavy shield are as tough a shoulder shot as any animal on the planet. We prefer an earhole shot whichany caliber can neatly take care of business and not have us crawling through swamps half the night.

Quick Reply: CALIBER QUANDRY......HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.