Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

New Hog Rifle

Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Hog Rifle

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Retrieverman, I'm not saying the 30-30 couldn't be used for a little further than 100 yards!!!! I do believe that there are better calibers for going out further. For example, if the guy is ever going to take a shot in the 200 + yardage range it might be better to get a caliber with better velocity and energy. As for the 30-06, I don't even own one, it was just an example. Now,my 300 win mag can reach out and touch something.

Either way, no offense I wasn't in a good mood earlier this evening. As Ron Burgundy would say, agree to disagree.
You are still not seeing WHAT I am disagreeing with. I am not arguing caliber and am the first to pull out a 270 or 308 for longer range hunting, but you stated that a LEVER ACTION is not good for shots over 100 yards. I am arguing that ACTION has nothing to do with long range capability. Browning makes their BLR in long range and magnum caibers. IT IS CALIBER, NOT ACTION, THAT DETERMINES RANGE CAPABILITY.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Retrieverman, I'm not saying the 30-30 couldn't be used for a little further than 100 yards!!!! I do believe that there are better calibers for going out further. For example, if the guy is ever going to take a shot in the 200 + yardage range it might be better to get a caliber with better velocity and energy. As for the 30-06, I don't even own one, it was just an example. Now, my 300 win mag can reach out and touch something.

Either way, no offense I wasn't in a good mood earlier this evening. As Ron Burgundy would say, agree to disagree.

OK OK We get it! The man said "agree to disagree." These E-fights are hilarious. One of you just needs to let it go. Both are making valid points. I agree that the "typical" lever action is not suitable for long range shooting.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the "typical" lever action is not suitable for long range shooting.
So my .22 calbolt action is good for long range shooting then
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see the point to both the guys

Retrieverman is saying the fact that it is a lever action means nothing to range its all in the cartirage.

Robbcayman was generalizing the levergun to the Marlin loads (30-30, 35, 45-70, 450, & 444),and thatthese rounds are best suited to to 100 yds and less. He also stated that this did not limit them to 100 yards though.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I see the point to both the guys

Retrieverman is saying the fact that it is a lever action means nothing to range its all in the cartirage.

Robbcayman was generalizing the levergun to the Marlin loads (30-30, 35, 45-70, 450, & 444),and thatthese rounds are best suited to to 100 yds and less. He also stated that this did not limit them to 100 yards though.

Thanks to you and idunno for clearing things up for us.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: idunno

I agree that the "typical" lever action is not suitable for long range shooting.
And I agree that if a person cannot get within 30 to 40 yards of a Hog, I don't consider them Hog Hunters, I consider them Hog Shooter's.....[8D]
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

And I agree that if a person cannot get within 30 to 40 yards of a Hog,I don't consider them Hog Hunters, I consider them Hog Shooter's.....[8D]
Reb.

Come on man anything past 20 yards is long range shooting
Old 03-21-2008, 10:45 AM

New to this forum.
[/align] Just throwing this out for discussion...............[/align][/align] My brother-in-law and I are planning a Feral Hog hunt within the next several monthsto the state of Tennessee. this will be myfirst hoghunt and I'm really looking forward to this.[/align] anyway, the reason I'm writing is to insight a riot amongst you hunters as to the type of firearm to use on hogs. [/align] Now, for economic reasons I'm only interested in the rifles and calibers that I have listing below because that's what I already own and I'm not going out to purchase another firearm. ( at least this time. )[/align]Let me say that I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the owners of other types offirearms. It's just that I don't need informationon a.50 cal. Barrett,or a .17 Remington fireball. ( although I wouldn't mind either one ).[/align][/align][/align]What I am interested in are the following ;[/align][/align] 1). Remington, model 673 Guide Rifle. 300 Short Action Ultra Mag. scoped 4.5 - 14 x 42 mm. ballistic-plexreticle. Chambered in.308 cal.[/align]using one of the following bullets; 110 gr. v-max, 165 gr. sst, or a 220 gr. interlock.[/align][/align] 2). 1973Marlin, Model 336 chambered in 30-30 cal. scoped 3 - 9 x 42 mm IR with 4a mil -plex reticle.[/align]using, Peters 150 Gr. core - lokt sp.[/align][/align]3). 1975 a. rossi, model 92 using Open steel buckhorn sights. chambered in .38 special / .357 Magnum[/align]using, Remington .357 mag. 158 gr. sjhp [/align][/align] These are the rifles that I already have . what I'm looking for is in your opinion, which one of these three rifles listed would be the most challenging and enjoyable to use on a hog hunt.[/align] I wish I had enough room in my freezer to use each oneof these rifles on three different hogs, ............................................... But I don't.[/align][/align] "If you have any constructive thoughts on this, jump on in."[/align][/align] With respect to all,[/align] Wayne[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wayne, I think the 30-30 is a perfect hog gun.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM

[/align][/align]Robbceyman;[/align][/align]The Marlin is a doable rifle, what about the 150 gr. bullet would that be something that I should increase to say 170 gr ? any recommendations I'm open to suggestions![/align]

Quick Reply: New Hog Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.