Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Im intrigued...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Im intrigued...

By the hole Hog deal, expecially with a bow, i know nothing about them, is it like groundhog hunting or are they a serious challenge, as compared to white-tails? Im just thinking of the whole blake shelton style on realtree roadtrips. Dont have any around here but i think it would be something fun to go do one day. Educate me people......
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Im intrigued...

Of the 100 or so bow hunters that have hunted with us, 80 % have not been able to recover their "vital shot" hogs. I'd say that categorizes them as pretty tough critters to put on a bow hunting menu.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed quite a few hogs with a bow including my first with a recurve a few months ago. they are indeed very tough animals. My recovery rate is well over 80%. I have only lost 2 bowshot hogs. Those shots were both farther back than I would have liked to hit them. They are no slam dunk. They are as hard to hunt as a whitetail in my opinion. The sense of smell they have is incredible and thier eyesite while not great is better at picking up motion than many give them credit for.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've shot one, and lost one....after my first one, i called my ex bro in law and he said , " dont get bummed if you can't find it"...then he tells me how hard they are to kill and recover .....she ran 65 yds., thank God [8D]....the other ran over 400 yds., he was a monster too...too bad i didn't find him....
If you think hunting them with a bow woud be fun, try hunting with dogs and a pig sticker...now thats fun.....
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

They are proving to be tougher to hunt then whitetails, I have been out last weekend and today and I have not seen any, and I know there are a lot on fort sill.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I have killed quite a few hogs with a bow including my first with a recurve a few months ago. they are indeed very tough animals. My recovery rate is well over 80%. I have only lost 2 bowshot hogs. Those shots were both farther back than I would have liked to hit them. They are no slam dunk. They are as hard to hunt as a whitetail in my opinion. The sense of smell they have is incredible and thier eyesite while not great is better at picking up motion than many give them credit for.
I agree 100%. Although the eyesight is not an antelope, it is a lot better than almost everyone gives them credit for. Until you have been picked up with the wind in your favor fromway out, you won't believe it. Big Boars can sometimes be considered blind because they will let you walk up on them. That's called defiance, not bad eyesight!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I agree with Greg, they arenot aslam dunk. It's bear hunting for the poor man.
I've been busted more by hogs than by whitetail.