HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   hunting hogs in the winter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/227946-hunting-hogs-winter.html)

Robv2007 01-18-2008 06:13 PM

hunting hogs in the winter

I plan on hunting hogs soon and was wondering what the best hours of the day to hunt them are and the best places to hunt them, should scent control be taken into account as much as a deer and how nocturnal are they b/c we can hunt them at night legally with a 22, i know it sounds crazy but we are going to try it, thanks for any imput

aframe 01-18-2008 10:32 PM

RE: hunting hogs in the winter

Yeah hog hunting is great cuz it's year round out here in california. If you like pig hunting check out this website. offsafety. It's made by some hog hunters its pretty cool kind of like a myspace for hunters.

The Rev 01-19-2008 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

should scent control be taken into account as much as a deer

Even more than deer, if you're leaving a scent, you might hear hogs, but you will not see them. They have an incredible sense of smell. They can't see squat in front of them, but they dang sure can smell you.

Rebel Hog 01-19-2008 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Robv2007

I plan on hunting hogs soon and was wondering what the best hours of the day to hunt them
Sunrise and Sunset

and the best places to hunt them,
Where you see Rootings, Wallows and Tree Rubs

should scent control be taken into account as much as a deer
They can't smell you if you're down wind from them, but the wind changes all the time. If you're hunting with dogs,your scentdoesn't matter.

how nocturnal are they b/c we can hunt them
Depends on how hungry they really are and what the temperture isthat day.

at night legally with a 22
Unless you can print your name on a piece of sheet metal & 25 yards with a .22, I wouldn't be trying to shoot hogs at nightwith a .22.......:)

Rory/MO 01-19-2008 09:01 AM

he said its legal where hes at so it wouldnt be poaching unless hes lying

Robv2007 01-19-2008 03:34 PM

its kind of complicated here in MI, there are very few hogs here, like 50 taken in the last 6 years so there is no season for them and the dnr wants to get rid of them, so the only rule is that you need a valid hunting license for a species in season and a valid weapon for that species, so basically you need to be legally hunting a valid game species when actaully you are hunting hog, so if we hunt at night we will be legally hunting racoon but if we come across a hog we can legally shoot it, and during the day we will use our large caliber rifles for coyote and use them if we see a hog

Robv2007 01-20-2008 09:18 PM

how crazy is it to be hunting a hog at night with a 22 with 2 people, is this a realistic possibility b/c that would be something else if we could pull it off

JeffS 01-21-2008 04:20 PM

We hunt at night all the time and used to use a .223 until we had some hogs run off after shooting them in the head. We normally use a bigger gun now because they learned once to light comes on what it means. So we shoot them behind the shoulder since we don't have much time for a shot. If you hunt on a night with full moonlight and you have a good scope on your rifle you can shoot without a light. I set up a .450 marlin just for hog hunting and with a Zeiss Conquest I don't need a light. You don't need that big of gun though it is nice to know they won't run anywhere. It is no fun to track a wounded pig at night in heavy brush.

Robv2007 01-21-2008 05:04 PM

the thing is, if we hunt them at night the largest caliber we can use is a 22 otherwise we will be using a 30.06 during the day, but what ammo would you recommend for a 22, i think the biggest that they come is 60 grain but i cant seem to find them anywhere, i figured something from CCI would be good, like a 40 grain hollow point or something, and are they afraid of shiners b/c we can use them legally but if they are scared then we will just hunt during full moon

JeffS 01-21-2008 07:40 PM

the ones where we hunt have been hunted enough they know when a light comes on they will be shot. You could use a .22 and shoot them right behind the ear though you need to be close and make a good shot. Unless you can get them where you can take your time and aim carefully I wouldn't recommend a .22 for hogs.