Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog bait

Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default hog bait

I'm from MI and we have slim to no hogs here but we managed to come across a few of them and since there are so few we were wondering what the best bait is for them, we figured they like potatoes and turnips but those are hard to find this time of year
Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hog bait

use sour corn or regular corn. the sour stuff works best though. put it in a barrel and wet it some place it wont freeze for a few days and then dump it on the site you see the sign. give them a few days to find it and start to hunt
Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Gunny. If the hog population is slim to none, you want a bait that will emit an odor to draw what hogs are there in.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

I also agree with gunny97, and once they find it, you can switch to just dry corn. They will eat anything that's in season, they'll even eat dead chickens from a chicken farm. If you want to keep them coming without a daily feeding on your part, put up a feeder or just make one that will have a gravity flow.

However, be warned, the females will breed at 6 months producing two to three litters a year. It won't belong and you may wish you never started the feeding process. They will root up your feed patches and anything else they can find food.

dog1
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Throw a little Molasses in there too.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sour corn or corn wetted with molasses works the best. Did a hole about two feet deep and one foot in diameter with a post hole digger. Fill the hole with soured corn and pour some around on top the ground. This makes the hogs work and keeps them coming back until the last grain of corn is gone: I've seen them standing on their heads rooting for it.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM

My friendputs a littlediesel fuel on the ground and some in a little container hung in a tree for the smell they really like it
Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

My friendputs a littlediesel fuel on the ground and some in a little container hung in a tree for the smell they really like it
are you serious? does diesel fuel actually bring them in, seems like that would send them to the next county
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM

we trap alot of hogs down here in the south....the two best baits that we have found,besides burnt motor oil, is a nasty mixture. Sour a 5 gallon bucket of corn, using 1 can of beer and topping off with water. Place the lid on the bucket and let sit outdoors for 5 days. Drain off water into another bucket, but dont discard. Pour 1 gallon diesel fuel onto the corn and shake up thoroughly. Find a log in the general area that you find some hog sign, pour the smelly water over the log. Next, dig a 2-1/2 foot deep hole, using post hole diggers, and pour the corn into the hole. Whatever doesnt fit into the hole, pour onto the log. Climd up a tree and wait on the bacon! Usually will have to be set out a couple of days before you plan on hunting it. Due to using post hole diggers, it will take the hogs roughly a week to clean out the corn. Just remember that large adult hogs are nocturnal...late evening and very early morning are the best feed times on hogs. Good Luck and happy hunting!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Just rember if you are going to eat them they have been eating diesel!!!!
I for one don't use diesel for that matter.

Quick Reply: hog bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.