Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 hunting liscense for hogs in TX? >

hunting liscense for hogs in TX?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hunting liscense for hogs in TX?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Default RE: hunting liscense for hogs in TX?

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead
YES there is a Clause in the regs for helping out a landowner with depredation hunting(and NOT having a license)........BUT!!!! AND its a BIG ONE, YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE HOG FROM THE PROPERTY and YOU CANNOT utilize it for food...
Can you point me to where in the regs, in print,it says that?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TxLabMaster

YES there is a Clause in the regs for helping out a landowner with depredation hunting(and NOT having a license)........BUT!!!! AND its a BIG ONE, YOU CANNOT REMOVE THE HOG FROM THE PROPERTY and YOU CANNOT utilize it for food...
No, because it isn't there.

The key to me seems to be the term "Depredating Feral Hogs". I asked this question on a different forum and the answer that was given by someone who asked their local game warden seemed to indicate that the hogs had to pretty much be caught in the act of destroying crops on your land for you to be able to shoot them without a license. Of course that is their interpretation, but based on the email it sounded like the subject has been discussed and that was a general consensus.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

We have friends who come down from OK & KS to hunt hogs so we have a little expericence with this. The Knox Co. game wardens have asked for their out of state licenses and they were legal because they had the $45 non-resident 5 day license. We've had conversations with multiple game wardens from several regionson the topic and they have offered the same answer.
2007-2008 TPW Regulations
General Law pg. 19
Personal ID (non-residents must carry drivers license or id cards or similar documents issued by the agency in thier state or country).
pg 21 A non-resident is a person who doesn't meet the requirements listed for qualification of a TX resident.

pg 25 Hunting licenses & permits.
"A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for fur-bearing animals (see. pg 72)", which by the way hogs are not included on the list on this page. Pg 25 goes on to state, "A hunting license is not required to hunt the following: coyotes, depredating feral hogs, if the landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land," continues on to state all laws and regulations re: hunter education still apply.HOWEVER, page 25 goes on to say non-resident special hunting (type 107) $125.00 includes exotics, game birds and non-game animals, etc. THEN we get to the NON Resident 5 day special hunting (type 157) $45.00 which is for 5 consecutive days valid to hunt all nongame animals including exotics. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY at page 72. Exotic Animals & Fowl there is specific verbage that states which animals are included and I quote, "Includes, but not limited to feral hog, Auodad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, SIka deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope & Russian boar."
BOTTOM LINE, per TPW you'd best have a valid non-resident hunting license. Come on down and hunt. We're still one of the cheapest states to hunt as a non-resident.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TxLabMaster

Is not in the regs, in print. That is directly from a GAME WARDEN....... When I asked him to verifiy it one way or the other that is what he told me...... Spend 45.00 it will save you hundreds in fines......

If you dont think it is true its very easy to verifiy, call your local Warden.....

Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 PM

i know 4 years ago when i was there i needed a license it was around 50 bucks but i thought it was an exotics only license sounds like it was a 5 day non-resident wish i still had it to look but anyway i know i was legal and shot pigs well worth the $