Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be? >

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Spike

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

LOL @ Rebel Hog I actually have a .458 win mag , was gonna take it on my hunt but decided to step it down to my .375 h&h then found out that was till a bit much .
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

ORIGINAL: royalcoke23

LOL @ Rebel Hog I actually have a .458 win mag , was gonna take it on my hunt but decided to step it down to my .375 h&h then found out that was till a bit much .
Take it from an old fart that chased porkers (4 legs)for 45+ years......You don't need a cannon on Hogs!!
Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 works for me. Mounted some Tru-glo fiber optics on it and I've never had to shoot one twice....this gun would work nicely for black bear as well.....however, I wouldn't try using the LeveRevolution ammo in it...it's got a fairly short barrel, and the LR ammo is designed to be used with a longer tube(look at the new marlins being developed for it.....all have longer barrels than the standard 30/30's and .35's.)

Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt with a 7 mag and early this year killed two with one shot through the head , they were lined up next to each other. i have since moved to a 30/30 . i want to avoid too much pass through for safety. i usually kill hogs around 20 yards so really a 270 or 243 to the head would work
Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gunny97

i hunt with a 7 mag and early this year killed two with one shot through the head , they were lined up next to each other. i have since moved to a 30/30 . i want to avoid too much pass through for safety. i usually kill hogs around 20 yards so really a 270 or 243 to the head would work
10-4 Good Buddy!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I still like using my 12 gauge shotgun...maybe because I cannot rationalize buying any of the rifles suggested. I wouldn't be able to use the rifle in illinois anyway.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Newhunter1 at work

I still like using my 12 gauge shotgun...maybe because I cannot rationalize buying any of the rifles suggested. I wouldn't be able to use the rifle in illinois anyway.
20ga with a good slug or sabot will work also. .45 cal muzzleloaders with ball or sabots will also do. I have seen many times hogs killed under 40yds with slug and .410.....
Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Last spring I took four hogs from 160# to 320# with my 22-250. I load a 53gr. Barnes TripleShock solid copper bullet pushed with 35gr. of Varget and it knock the stuffing out of the hogs that I shot, none of them went more than 20 feet and they were all lung shots.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Second Hog

Old 12-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Third Hog

Quick Reply: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.