Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be? >

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Did you open the links on my post?
Yes I did. However, I'm not going to bank on being able to shoot them in the head. I want a rifle that is going to be capable of heart/lung shots.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

No need to get fansy, your deer rifle will work fine.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

You know...if I had a population of hogs to hunt here in Illinois I'd just use what I use on deer. Either my 70# bow, my mossberg 695 bolt action shotgun with 1 1/4 ounce lightfield hybred sabots or my Omega with a 330 grain bullet on top of 110 grains of Black Mag 3. I think either one of those three weapons would kill hogs, but since you stated guns then I'd go with the mossberg 695 12 gauge with the lightfields slugs. I don't believe there is much in North America that can keep going after being shot with a 1 1/4 ounce slug...but I could be wrong.

Paul
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use a bow! leave the guns at home !
Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

'Use a bow! leave the guns at home'

Do not listen to him, use a muzzleloader.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: New York Hunter

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Did you open the links on my post?
Yes I did. However, I'm not going to bank on being able to shoot them in the head. I want a rifle that is going to be capable of heart/lung shots.
Basically, any rifle that you would take a heart/lung shot on a deer with, you can do the same on a hog. I have killed hogs with shoulder shots with calibers ranging from 243 to 300 WSM. Any caliber in the 270/308/30-06 range would be more than enough in my opinion. As I said before, since you already have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, that would be my choice, and coupled with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo, the 35 Rem is going to be hard to beat for close to medium range hunting. My son and I have had absolutely no trouble killing hogs with our Marlin 30-30's and LeverEvolution ammo.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: falcon

Use whatever your are comfortable with. Your 336 in 35 Rem. will work fine. I have used .223 on up to the 30-06 and alot in between and haven't lost one yet.

Enjoy the hunting!!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use anything from a .223to a .375 H&H magnum. The .35 you have is a great hog gun and I have the same gun, but if you are wanting a hog gun I bought a .450 Marlin just because I wanted something different and wanted something that would put them down without trouble. I put a 3 x 9 x 50 Zeiss Conquest becasue we shoot at night alot and we can shoot without a light if there is any moonlight at all.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman
[/align][/align]Use a bow! leave the guns at home ![/align]
[/align]
ORIGINAL: falcon

I don't own either, just not my thing.[/align]
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Since you're a heart & lung man, go with a .458 Winchester!.....It won't go through them.......it will blow them out the other side![8D]

Quick Reply: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.