Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Arrow  reflects off shoulder??? >

Arrow reflects off shoulder???

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Arrow reflects off shoulder???

Hi All,
Bein sitting on the sidelines lately but have to ask you all a question. From 23 yards out I shot a sow. Arrow hit top part of shoulder blade( I know high) , heard a squeel and it bolted. My friend saw it pop up 50 yards away with a red spot on top the shoulder. There was no blood were I shot it but little blood rubbings on plants on its trail. Anyways couldnt find it.
The next morning my friend saw it running around and playing with other pigs like nothing happened. Do you think my arrow richoted off his shoulder blade??? I couldnt find my arrow either.?? My poundage is 63 pounds and shot new NAP thunderheads.
Any ideas, is a richochett possible?? Thanks for any ideas, forced to eat turkey, ribs would of bein nice
Old 11-23-2007, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Arrow reflects off shoulder???

If you shoot a hog high there is good chance it will make it. A mid level chest shot that would put a deer down will let a hog get away most of the time. You have to shoot low, low and forward. The heart is at the bottom of the chest, like in the brisket on a deer. There have been tons of hogs live after being shot in only one lung. we take around 200 hogs a year between reg hunting and using the dogs and have seen so many survive on only 1 lung it isnt even funny. shoot low and they wont go far.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If it reflected off shoulder, for sure you're not going to fine the arrow!
Old 11-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either you shot it high and went off with your arrow. Or you hit the shoulder and it could have run off with your arrow. Chances are you hit in high and the arrow got broke off in the bushes.
I've hit them high before and had a complete pass through, and found only little blood. A heavy blood trail is an indication your hit it right. What the heck, it's a hog .... Next time try to get them quartering away just a little bit and stick in just behind the shoulder and let the arrow come out the from. I've never seen an arrowbounce off an animal, even on bone.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

thanks guys ,
Yup, all good points. I think I was so exited I didnt want to chance him running off before quartering away oppurtunity. Should've waited[:@]But what I learned most was to really concentrate on putting that pin on a piece of hair. I was so exited I just put it around his vitals, and aimed high thinking "To shoot low and I could miss".
Should of just believed in my equipment and taken my time. Will keep trying. Thanks again everyone and happy holidays

Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Thatsbasically the exact thing that happened to me. Im glad the hog lived for another shot though
Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you use an mechanical head? Ive found mechanicals dont penetrate hogs worth a flip. Ive seen them bounce off the shield before at closer ranges than that. Especially at the slightest quarter shot.

Also as othershave mentioned. Keep the arrow low on a hog. Best to slip it behind the ribs in a quartering away shot that willpass through the vitals. That shot will always bring them down.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

How big was the hog. You might of hit the armour that some hogs get. my brother has done that before. the arrow just bounced off.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty sure you meandeflected off the shoulder, but in any case, it's mistake all of us bowhunters will endure at some point. Rest assured that the hog will survive and you will have a chance to pop him another day. The cartilage plate on some hogs is super thick, so avoid it all costs. Quatering away and even quartering to are my preferred shots. I have never seen an arrow or bolt bounce off an animal though. I'd bet that there is about 4" or less of your arrow broke off in the shoulder instead. It's happened to me on hogs and deer so don't feel bad. Piggies are an amazing resilient animals with a very high threshold for pain. He'll be back for more.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

No the arrow did bounce off the hog. Arrow had no damage and no blood. My dad ended up shooting about 500 yards from where my brother shot. There was no hole made by an arrow. The only hole was in the head where my dad shot it with a 243.

Quick Reply: Arrow reflects off shoulder???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.