Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

New way to hunt hogs

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Spike

Default New way to hunt hogs

Last Saturday, I was shredding on my property and as I was going by one of the feeders, I looked and under it was a hog that I guessed was about 150#. This hog just kept eating and looking up at me despite that I got within about 50 yards of it. It was probably 9:30 am. I called my son (who had just woke up) and asked him if he wanted to shoot this thing. He said that he did, so I continued shredding toward his location and we met up. I turned around and kept shredding back toward the hog and the stupid thing was still there. My son stepped behind a tree and I kept mowing and while the hog watched me, my son shot it. Turned out that it was a boar and live weight was 147 lbs. This is the first time I've had a hog do this but have deer and coyotes, etc.stand and watch me lots as I'm shredding, plowing or planting. Might be a technique to try out. Hopefully I didn't kill the last of the retarded ones. I think I'm going to mount a gun rack on my tractor just in case this happens again.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New way to hunt hogs

Hogs are afraid of people not tractors, they just haven't figured out that people drive them. Good thing you killed him, this way he won't tell the others.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

We see them all the time when we mow the pasture. They just ignore you on the tractor but if you are on foot they are gone as soon as the notice you.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 PM

i have had this happen also w/ Coyotes, deer and hogs.
except its when im in a truck... they watch out of curiosity.... but as soon as you get out, there gone.

The Desert Mule deer are pretty dam smart..
they see and live with horses all the time and have no fear of horses... but when itcomes to a horse with a person sitting on top.. they are GONE !!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thats a great idea with the gun rest. and thats how i hunt yotes on my family's farm
Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, my tractor has a gun rack on the R.O.P. (roll over protection bar) and a Marlin 25mn .22 mag stashed there when plowing for that very same reason. Hogs would keep moving to the inside of the field as I would disk it from the outside. As the field narrowed, I would get an opportunity at 1 or 2 of them before the mad dash out of the field.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM

I started reading this and could have sworn it was going to end up in the shredder....... was kinda looking forward to hearing it, sure would have made butchering fairly easy!