HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   hello all, I have a few questions about the feral hogs.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/207945-hello-all-i-have-few-questions-about-feral-hogs.html)

switchbackXT_shooter 09-20-2007 04:23 PM

hello all, I have a few questions about the feral hogs..

There is some conservation land about 20 miles from me where i can go bow hunting white tails. they say there are a lot of feral pigs there that have taken up residence there.
And I was wondering if any one could chime in with some tips on how to go hunt them? what kind of calls work good on bringing them in?
I did hope that I could use my climbing tree stand, but if i take it what do i look for to find fresh sign?

Id allways take a shot at one that came near my deer stand but never really set out after pigs specifically.

Rebel Hog 09-20-2007 04:33 PM

RE: hello all, I have a few questions about the feral hogs..

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

There is some conservation land about 20 miles from me where i can go bow hunting white tails. they say there are a lot of feral pigs there that have taken up residence there.
And I was wondering if any one could chime in with some tips on how to go hunt them? what kind of calls work good on bringing them in?
I did hope that I could use my climbing tree stand, but if i take it what do i look for to find fresh sign?

Id allways take a shot at one that came near my deer stand but never really set out after pigs specifically.

Find the fresh signs and be in the area at sun rise and at sunset. Stalk them working the wind in your favor. Forget the calls unless you are an expirienced and seasoned hog hunter...........Best of Luck

txjourneyman 09-21-2007 05:38 AM

The stand may work if you can find a well traveled path or a wallow they use often. If baiting is allowed a stand over a feeder or corn pile works well.

cynikalHC 09-28-2007 03:29 PM

If you are able to bait then defenitely do that. If not the you can stalk during the day checking out watering holes, creek bedsand wallows.

Texasimport 10-01-2007 01:26 PM

If you have access to a feeder then that's enough to bring em in. . .:D

I sure miss hunting pigs since I moved from Texas. . . although the elk don't taste half bad, there just a lot more work.

falcon 10-01-2007 01:30 PM

If there is a pond on the place put up a stand near it.

dragonslayer1 10-02-2007 05:27 PM

Hogs with any hunting pressure on them are definitely harder to kill than whitetails. Hunt them early and late. On public land where baiting is not allowed, hunt the same mast crops the deer eat. Hogs absolutely love acorns. If they are not showing before dark, you'll have to follow their trails back toward the bedding areas and set up as close as possible without busting them. They normally bed in thick cover very near to water if it's available.

jlsherr 10-10-2007 05:52 PM

Do a survey of the land. Hogs like low areas ( wet and muddy ) look for rubs on trees. A close proximenity to a river or creek bed. If they are using the area there will be rubs (mud) low on the trees. If you find an area with a lot of rubs and the ground tore up. You are in the right place. Get ther early or late and wait. Calls are rarely effective in my opinion. Patiance and quite in the right area will pay off.

JIMRABY 10-10-2007 11:26 PM

if you know people have seen hogs around there...
BUT, if you cannot find any signs of rooting and tracks......
Put a feeder up, or keep corn out in the same place for a few days.
then.. that will MAKE SIGNS AND ROOTINGS APPEAR