HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hunting in Ca (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/199329-hunting-ca.html)

Brassknucklthrpy 07-26-2007 04:15 PM

Hunting in Ca

Hello everyone ....

im new to this forum and hunting. i'm very interested in hunting, so i was wondering if some peoplecan give me good places to hunt wild boar in southern california ?

Thanks

Kevin1970 07-26-2007 10:02 PM

RE: Hunting in Ca

I used to live there and hunted several areas. The La Panza Range was the best (East of San Luis Obispo) Anywhere in there is good. Also, Fort Hunter Ligget is excellent. jesseshunting.com is a california hog hunting site with a wealth of info in there mostly pertaining to california hog hunters. There are a number of places to hunt hogs. I can tellyou a great place near Temecula (I used to live in Winchester) for deer hunting. No one I know in California goes there. I only told one person about it. It's public land. A lot of deer there. If I remember correctly it was zone D16. In the Aguanga area off of Hwy 15. If you PM me I can give you good directions. It's about 6000 feet elevation if I remember right. There's snow up there in the winter. Let me know if you want the info. BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Kevin

usa 07-26-2007 10:50 PM

About 99% of pig harvesting in ca is on private land,Fort Hunter Ligget is about the best value for you ,something like $125 yr to hunt but only weekends and then only in training areas that are open. Tejon Ranch is a good value around $400 for a weekend with a good chance for success. Theres a couple of pig executing places in so cal that are around $350 +, theres public land available but your chances of success are very minimal, but hunting is about the experience not the kill, but it sure feels good to kill something, good luck

Brassknucklthrpy 07-27-2007 01:27 PM

ok great ... thanks for the info guys

DGH 07-28-2007 04:49 PM

Hey Brass:

First, define southern CA since I can't help you south of Bakersfield, other than the Tejon thing. And, Hunter ligget etc. has already been explained to you. If you are mostly a road and spot guy, I can't help, but, if you are tough (I mean, willing to walk three to five hours up hill and down), there is some terrific public land hunting for both hogs and deer in Central CA. I hunt it for deer and every year I see literally dozens of hogs. Drop me a line here, or via email, and I will be happy to give you directions. Also, given the country you are hunting,buy a bolt action rifle, heavy calibre (270 or better) because you will run into some honest long range situations in southern and central CA.

boarsonly 07-30-2008 08:27 PM

HI Fellow hunters
im looking for private land for hogs around, los padres and bakesfield, any info would be appreciated, we did come back from a hunt on last weekend, and were able to get a small guy about 80 lbs, was wondering if anywone knew of a good spot for large hogs, any info would be appreciated greatly, maybe i can return the favor some day.
Take care and good hunting.

boarsonly 07-30-2008 08:28 PM

or if anyone knows of public land, its even better. thanks again.

noluckinca 03-28-2009 09:27 PM

Im new to the pig hunt. I sure would like to know where you talkin about. i live in central ca, and have not been able to link up with anyone with land and really need to find some public land.