Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Got my first pig!!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Got my first pig!!

Nice job on the piggies and getting a sow does double duty in cutting the numbers..!

Regarding them being part Javelina, a Javelina isn't a hog or directly related to the hogs.The feral hog isn't from the same Family or Genus as the Javelina so I would doubt that interbreeding is possible. Maybe The Rev could provide a reference for such a cross from some scientific source since I'd be very interested to learn something about that.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: venado

Nice job on the piggies and getting a sow does double duty in cutting the numbers..!

Regarding them being part Javelina, a Javelina isn't a hog or directly related to the hogs.The feral hog isn't from the same Family or Genus as the Javelina so I would doubt that interbreeding is possible. Maybe The Rev could provide a reference for such a cross from some scientific source since I'd be very interested to learn something about that.
...I stand to be corrected O mighty one, all knowing smarter than you look. You could have been gentle with me, I have a huge temper

Native to the Southwest U.S., the javelina is often confused with the feral hog. Javelinas are hog-like in appearance, however, they are not closely related.
Photo: Dale Rollins
Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I have been hunting Hogs for over 45yrs in FL, Ga, SC, NC and TN... Have never seen Critters like these!Must be a Texas thing!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Me too Reb.. Guess, we need to ask the all knowing great white hunter. ... They are from out West.

I ain't never seen a feral hog like that. Sure ain't Russian... I know......They are Mexican Pollock PigsMijo!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are colored like a white tail! Most ferals have short wirey hair don't they?I was going to say nappy but we know where that would get me(see Don Imus).Isn't your property near Borden or Garza county where the pigs were taken?They have obvious close crop coats...strange for anything this time of year.I volunteer to help him harvest some and investigate further!I would need a large walkin fridge to hang and chill the critter! Still neat looking sausage makings.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

They are colored like a white tail! Most ferals have short wirey hair don't they?I was going to say nappy but we know where that would get me(see Don Imus).Isn't your property near Borden or Garza county where the pigs were taken?They have obvious close crop coats...strange for anything this time of year.I volunteer to help him harvest some and investigate further!I would need a large walkin fridge to hang and chill the critter! Still neat looking sausage makings.
What's up my little brother! Thought the hogs ate ya .. Right about that Nappy Headed thing... but it's still funny...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

ORIGINAL: RLoving1

What's up my little brother! Thought the hogs ate ya .. Right about that Nappy Headed thing... but it's still funny...
Yep!..........These are Texas pigs

Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still around Rev! If a hog ate me that would be cruelty to animals...they would never get the bad taste outa their mouths!I'm staying outa trouble and flying below radar,but still lurcking and keeping an eye on you guys.You've seen alot of hogs...aren't those unique looking specimens?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the encouragement. I was beginning to think I was never going to get a pig after several attempts without seeing any. This was pretty much just a chance occurence but I'll take it!

As far as the pigs looking different, I have no idea. Here is a picture of them from my trail camera with several of these short haired pigs in the mix. The property is in Fisher County about 25 miles Southeast of Snyder. One other thing I was suprised at is how clean the pigs were. I've always heard stories that they stink and are crawling with ticks and fleas, but these pigs were clean.

I've still got the meat soaking in coolers in my garage. Any good tips on cutting the hams up intosteaks to freeze it? What about the front shoulders?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice pigs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.