Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 whats a good rifle for boars? >

whats a good rifle for boars?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

whats a good rifle for boars?

Old 06-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: whats a good rifle for boars?

Haven't had a lot of experience hog hunting but the ones I have killed I used a 6MM remington with a 85 gr. Barnes triple shock. I shot them behind the shoulder and both dropped in their tracks. I think the bullet matters more than the placement. One of the guys in our party shot a 155 lb. boar with a 270 with a standard storebought softnose bullet. He also shot it behind the shoulder. His hog ran 60-70 yards and the bullet did not go through the hog. The TSX bullet went thru and made mush of the vitals.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Spike

17 HMR/ear/dead
Old 06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

venado, in TN, where we have the real Russian boars in many places, not just feral hogs, using a .17 HMR is a great way to get yourselfkilled.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Marlin 336SS 30-30 will drop a 225 lb boar in his tracks IF YOU DO YOUR PART (which can be said for nearly any caliber on the market). Here is my son with one that he killed last night. 50 yard heart shot put him on the ground flopping and a second in the side of the head ended it all.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: venado

17 HMR/ear/dead
In FL Rim Fire is Prohibitedfor hunting. You can use .17 Remington (Center Fire).
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Spike

In TX hogs can be killed almost anyway as they are not a game animal here.

I'd be curious if there is a recorded case where a feral hog or Russian Boar has ever killed a hunter in the US. I suspect that concern about a wild hog killing a hunter is like being worried about being struck by lightening while singing in the shower.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: venado

In TX hogs can be killed almost anyway as they are not a game animal here.

I'd be curious if there is a recorded case where a feral hog or Russian Boar has ever killed a hunter in the US. I suspect that concern about a wild hog killing a hunter is like being worried about being struck by lightening while singing in the shower.
Let me rephrase my statement,Rim Fire are not permitted on WMA's. On private property, hogs are consideredproperty of the owner and you are right,they can be killed herewith Rim Fire too, but not deer.

If you wanted to use .17 cal on WMA's it would have to be .17 cal Remington and it would be legal for Deer and Hog's.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM

My gun of choice......

Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: the bees knees

My gun of choice......

Childish
Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 PM

50 BMG......Any Questions???? Shot placement not will not play a factor but being able to find you hog will.

Quick Reply: whats a good rifle for boars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.