Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Bait site kills?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bait site kills?

Getting ready to hunt some hogs that have been coming to bait. There are several of them and I want to eliminate as many as possible. Got to thinking that maybe I shouldn't kill them on the bait because it may scare them off for awhile. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bait site kills?

A hand grenade or a bazooka comes to mind! Nevermind...thats not legal.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you going to be using silent death ( bow) or of of them big bang sticks (gun)?

If using a bow then they will keep coming to the bait untill they work out something is wrong, I have had times where a group of pigs will come in I whack 1 the others take off only to come back 5 minutes later so I can whack another 1, the most I have taken from the same bait site in 1 night was9 all from the same group.

If you are using a gun then you may only get 1 or 2 chances of taking them from the same bait site unless you give the bait site time before you hunt it again.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Be using both. Going to be hunting the farm for 3 or 4 days. My 2 sons (14 & 20)are going with me and they will be using rifles, I'm taking my recurve and compound bows for myself.

The farmer has been baiting with corn. Started with about3-6 hogs using the bait. After 3 months, he's getting pics of 15 to 20 at a time. So you can see why he wants us to remove as many as possible.

I thought the blood smell, of a shotpig,might spook them from the bait station. I was going to try using a sweet hog attractant to lay a trail away from the bait site and then try to nail them when they had ventured away from the bait site to prevent blood from tainting the bait station. Figured I'd hang some tree stands along the travel routes as well.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed a hog at a feeder one day and went back the next and killed another. I don't think the blood smell will be a problem. It may even be an attractant. Hogs have been known to be cannabalistic at times.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've shot hogs and others came up and smelled the dead one and started eating beside them. It doesn't bother them if you shoot a hog over the bait.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM

the blood doesn't bother them.the shot will spook them for a day or two some time longer than that.if the whole group is not there shoot one and wait for the rest.go to another bait station.
that been my experence,when I shoot one the rest is gone for a week or two.