HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   What type broadhead for hogs? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/191872-what-type-broadhead-hogs.html)

Gruntr Huntr 05-19-2007 02:32 PM

What type broadhead for hogs?

Been thinking bout trying to shoot some hogs with my recurve bow. Was wondering what type broadheads might be best to use?

I've got some Bear razorheads that I was planning to remove the inserts and shoot as a two-blade for better penetration.

How bout some comments from you guys or some recommendations.

Thanks

txjourneyman 05-19-2007 04:28 PM

RE: What type broadhead for hogs?

I have some 125gr Magnus Magnums that I intend to stick in a pig at the first opportunity. I have been shooting them out of my recurve with pretty good consistancy and I think I'm ready to try hunting with them.

Kanga 05-19-2007 07:50 PM

Was wondering what type broadheads might be best to use?
Sharp ones they get better penetration than dull ones:);):D:D

txjourneyman 05-19-2007 08:52 PM

Or you could use a .40 cal pistol.

Gruntr Huntr 05-19-2007 09:41 PM

I want a 'cut on contact' broadhead that's why I'm thinking bout my Bear razorheads, but, I don't know if a 3 blade 'cut on contact' might be a better choice.

"Sharp ones..." :D

txjourneyman 05-19-2007 09:56 PM

Go to page 2 of the bowhunting forum. There is a thread there started by 5 shot. He does indepth broadhead reviews. I really want to try the Snuffers after reading his review.3 blade COC and really sharp.

schoolcraft 05-19-2007 10:27 PM

I've used 125 gr. Razorcaps out of my 53# Bob Lee recurve with good results. My only complain is that the tips of the broadhead have bent all but one time and they're kinda' expensive to replace.
Like someone posted earlier, I would like to try one of the new Snuffers. They look a tad more sturdy than the Razorcaps.

Gruntr Huntr 05-20-2007 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Go to page 2 of the bowhunting forum. There is a thread there started by 5 shot. He does indepth broadhead reviews. I really want to try the Snuffers after reading his review.3 blade COC and really sharp.
Thanks! Checked out the thread and really liked what 5 Shot had to say about the 100 grn Snuffers. I especially like that they're accurate 100 grain fixed 3 blade razor-sharp (threw that in for Ausie-guy) outta the box.

Now, I just got to find some.

bigboar23 05-20-2007 08:45 AM

This is probably one of the most asked questions on the forums and I always answer it the same way. Choose your Broadhead based on your location not the hog. Lots of people like to stay away from expandables when it comes to pigs, but there are some tuff expandables that will get you a pig. The reason I say location is because if you are hunting heavy cover like we do down here in Florida, you need blood almost immedietly. BLOOD, not neccesarily the greatest penetration. You can bury a braodhead deep inside a big old boar, but if he doesn't start dropping blood for the first 50 yards, he has now disappeared into a maze of palmettos and sawgrass and you don't even know where to begin. I personally would rather track for 200 yds with blood than search a 50yd circle with none. I've seen it happen a million times. All that fat and thick skin loves to plug holes and then it's needle in the haystack time. Best of luck to you.

burniegoeasily 05-24-2007 07:41 AM

Excellent advice given. Bigboar23 got some very good advice. Cant add to that.;)